Chapter Five

Still on his work out clothes, he hurried into the hospital and darted into the reception where he was met by a nurse.

"Good morning, Doctor Arinze," she greeted, her voice carrying a composed warmth. But before he could respond, Paul strode into the room. "Law!" He bellowed, charging towards them, his giant strides covering the floor in powerful, measured paces.

"Law," he shouted across the room again, finally reaching them. He was already in his blue scrubs. His face held a palpably tense demeanour. A reflection of the impending emergency ahead.

"Thank God you're here, the surgery is about to begin," he exclaimed, relief evident in his voice.

"Alright I'll get changed and meet you in a minute. He replied and sped out of the reception to find the changing room.

"Okay, okay, cool," he said in response before turning to the nurse.

"Please grab a type O negative blood pack from the blood bank." We might need it."

Giving a nod, she turned swiftly and walked towards the blood bank, urgency infused in her foot steps.

After the marathon surgery, spanning five hours, they finally wrapped up. In the aftermath, they were now strolling out of the operation room with relieved faces. A reflection of the surgery's success.

They walked casually into the changing room chatting. Their changing time taking nothing more than two minutes as they shed their surgical outfits and transitioned back into their everyday attire.

Man, I could really use a massage," Paul sighed, flexing his knuckles as he nudged the office door open with his hip. Lawrence strolled in behind him, and Paul continued.

"That'd be nice. I should make time for one sometime."

"We should, buddy, we should. Now, who hits the basketball court on a Monday?"

Lawrence grinned.

"Seriously, calling me in on my day off? Who does that?" Lawrence retorted."I did, I did," Paul responded, smirking at the same lighthearted frustration that Lawrence emanated.

"And I am so glad you honored our call. Thanks for coming," Paul countered with a hint of playful sarcasm.

You're not sitting?" he inquired, noticing that Lawrence wasn't resting.

"No, I'll be leaving soon," Lawrence responded, playfully echoing the ongoing jest.

"To spend time with your son, shey?" Paul asked, raising an eyebrow.

Yes, yeah," Lawrence replied, rolling his eyes good-naturedly.

"At least take some rest from the five hours of standing."

"Yes sir," Lawrence muttered before grabbing a chair reluctantly.

"So, how's Cody?" Paul asked, settling into the conversation. He leaned in on his table with interest as he awaited Lawrence's response.

"Oh, Cody's fine," Lawrence replied light-heartedly. "We were playing basketball together when you called."

Paul nodded as if in deep thought. " You know," he raised his head, pushing the conversation further. "You make me want to get a dog too. I like the way you and Cody roll. Did you come with him ?"

"I would have if I came in my car but then, I sent him home," Lawrence replied.

"Like he's your son," Paul chuckled mischievously, a sly grin appearing on his face.

Lawrence simply shrugged it off with a good-natured smile. To be honest, he couldn't recall ever feeling offended by their reference to Cody as his son. He had treated him like one right from the beginning, after all.