Chapter Fifteen

David's POV
Much like any other day when I wasn't at work, the gym, or out for a leisurely stroll, I found myself in bed, staring at the ceiling. The power had been out for the last three hours, but thankfully, the inverter kept me from being stuck.

So, this is me - David, the quiet and somewhat boring guy who despises his job. Yes, it pays the bills and keeps me independent, but I can't stand it. I hate my job, I hate life, and I hate the desire to have friends to share my problems with, which remains unfulfilled. I hate the loneliness...

I heaved a sigh and was about to plunge into another train of thought when my phone suddenly began to ring.

"I wonder who it is this time," I muttered to myself before reaching for the phone. A glance at the caller ID revealed a name that sent shivers down my spine - Dad. My furrowed brows and squinted eyes clearly showed the tension in our relationship.

Reluctantly, I tapped the answer button.

"How long does it take before you answer your phone ?" He asked immediately and I didn't miss the iciness that laced his tone.

"Dad, could you at least inquire about my well-being first ?"

A grunt followed. "So, when are you coming?"

I fell silent.

"Young man, I'm talking to you. When are you coming home?"

I sighed and massaged my temples. "Dad, I need a break."

"From family?"

"Time for yourself? Don't you have your own room? It's always open."

"I know, Dad, but..."

"No 'buts'!" he declared. "No 'buts,' do you hear me? I demand your presence here pronto!"

The headache worsened. He was always like this.

"Dad..." I began. I had never found the courage to express my feelings, as I always felt he had the final say in everything, being the parent.

"I come every year; I need a break. Why can't you understand that I have a life apart from the family?"

"Which is?"

"Me... I want to have time for me."

"Like you didn't for 11 months?"

"But I still need a real break, Dad. That's all I'm asking for, please."

"You must be very foolish!" I felt a soreness in my heart, all the wounds I thought had healed returned.

"It's no wonder you let that lady take a case, a case that could have brought you into the limelight instead of her," he hissed.

"Dad, she's not a rival, she's my friend and colleague."

"And so what? Is that why you let her have the spotlight?"

"Dad, we both know I never wanted to be a lawyer. My life is as miserable as it is because you never think my opinions matter. So it doesn't matter to me."

"Will you be quiet ? Keep quiet, you nitwit. Now listen to me, young man, you are coming over. Is that clear?"

With that, the call ended, and my phone slipped from my hand. I did something I hadn't done in a long time. I fell apart and let the tears I had held back for years flow.