Chapter Thirteen

Florence seethed inwardly. Ever since the judgment had been pronounced, she seemed to be the only unhappy soul in the room. The rest reveled in joy, and even those who had no idea who she was joined in the jubilation.

Her blood boiled further as images of her serene face graced various TV screens. Her resentment simmered as she glanced at Lawrence, whose perpetual smile had etched itself onto his face since the verdict.

Unable to contain her jealousy, she couldn't help but blurt out, "Do you know her?" Immediately, she regretted her words, her voice dripping with an obvious undertone of envy.

"Oh, that Barrister!" Florence cringed inwardly, berating herself for unintentionally exposing her insecurities. She imagined that Lawrence might despise her now, but she put on a facade of boldness.

After finishing with a patient, Lawrence turned to face her. "What was that?" he asked, his face maintaining an unwavering composure as if he hadn't heard her.

Florence inwardly sighed in relief. "Oh, never mind, it was nothing," she replied.

He returned to his seat and continued his work. "No, I don't," he declared.

"What?" Florence turned, a puzzled expression on her face.

"I said it before," he shrugged, "I wish I did."

Her heart sank. "Oh, no! He definitely noticed," she thought.

Seeking further clarification, he probed, reclining in his chair, "Why'd you ask?"

She hesitated momentarily, then responded, her tone heavy with emphasis on "her," "Nothing, it's just... You've been smiling since the judge's pronouncement."

Lawrence appeared puzzled, but he concealed it well. "Well, is that wrong ?"

Florence couldn't hide her frustration and rolled her eyes. "It's the high-profile cases we're talking about here. Father and son may have been jailed, but there's still the wife. They're inclined to eliminate her somehow."

Paul, who had been listening, interjected. "Why would you think that?"

"Well, isn't that how lawyers who handle such cases end up? Dead?" Florence's words were plain but laced with venom.

Paul cleared his throat, maintaining a stern expression. "Flora, you've been negative about this whole thing from the start. I don't know why, but I just hope you're..." He stopped himself before saying more.

Florence sighed, relenting a bit. "Look, I'm sorry about my attitude toward this issue too, but it's just... that's all I've seen happen to those kinds of people in these types of situations."

"But that didn't happen to her," Paul chimed in.

"Thank God," Lawrence added.

Florence attempted to mend the atmosphere. "Okay, guys, you can't be mad at me for this."

"Well, I know I am," Lawrence admitted.

Paul turned back to his table in silence.

"Okay, guys, I'm sorry," Florence pouted.

A heavy silence hung in the air. Florence couldn't stand it. "Guys," she whined.

The silence persisted.

"Guys."

Finally, Paul broke the silence. "Well, next time, just keep the negative energy to yourself."

"I promise, I promise."

Florence then called out to Lawrence. "Lawrence?"

"It's okay," he said, turning to her. "Just do as Paul says. Keep your negative energy to yourself next time."

"I promise. Thanks, guys."

"Thanks, guys."

"Whatever," they chorused, though Florence couldn't shake the feeling that they were still defensive about her.

Meanwhile, at the Rotimi Chambers...

As Kore entered from the court, she was greeted with applause and congratulatory messages that took her by surprise. Jojo, exuding sass, approached and embraced her.

"Congratulations, girl!" Jojo greeted her with an enthusiastic hug. Kore whispered her thanks, a hint of sass in her tone.

Well, my good sir, who's the victor now?" Kore inquired, adding a dash of theatricality to her tone.

"I guess, you are," David replied, sporting a sly smirk.

"You guess?" Jojo chimed in, shooting David a playful yet sassy look, making him roll his eyes.

Kore wasn't about to let him off easy.

"Anyways, congratulations, Akorede," David conceded, allowing himself a moment of levity.

"Wow! He used my full name," Kore exclaimed dramatically, rolling her eyes for emphasis and looking around the room as if expecting applause.

"Why? Is it an abomination now?" he quipped,

Kore, slapping David playfully across the arm replied , "of course not."

"Just take my congratulations, huh? I'm tired already." David whined.

"Well, sure, I will, she said, relenting.

"Congratulations on your victory," he said.

"Thank you, my good sir," Kore replied with a theatrical flourish, relishing the moment.

Congratulatory remarks flowed from others at the Rotimi Chambers and from callers.

That night, Kore slept like a contented baby, blissfully unaware that her victory marked only the beginning of a new chapter, one that would bring unexpected challenges and drama into her life.