Chapter 34: Broken Promise

Travellers only needed to venture off Mt. Battle's winding roads to find swathes of wild Pokémon roaming the rugged slopes. Most enjoyed the relentless afternoon sun. There was even a swarm of the rare Larvesta out. Rustie excitedly caught one. The Rock-types who weren't so fond of the heat took shelter in burrows and caves. Dirk and his new Fletchling pounced on a sleeping Larvitar, which knocked Fletchling out in one hit. He chased it into the road. Brakes squealed. A car careered to avoid him. It was another Area Leader returning Verzant's rental car. Dirk didn't have time to apologise. He had to catch Larvitar. He ran faster than the tired little Pokémon. Beedrill leapt at it. Larvitar was poisoned. It was successfully sealed in a Great Ball.

'Yeah!' Dirk announced to his friends who were no longer in earshot, 'Check out this sick li'l dude! We're gonna do great things together, buddy!'

Larvitar looked unimpressed. It had to respect him a little, however, when he effortlessly lifted its 72 kg body. He revived Fletchling and healed Larvitar with an Antidote, before placing it in Poliwrath's arms.

'You gotta keep lifting, too, bro!'

Poliwrath didn't mind. It loved exercising with its Trainer. When they caught up with their friends, Zileh was trading another Larvitar for Rustie's Larvesta.

'Yo! Larvitar! Here's one of your bros!'

Neither Larvitar was happy about being rudely awoken under the afternoon sun. They glared at each other.

'Y'know what?'

Zileh held two Poké Balls. 'It's about time we face off, Dirk!'

'Yeah! That's what I like to hear! Let's show 'em what we're made of, Larvitar! Poliwrath!'

'Go! Vaporeon and Golbat!'

Zileh's Zubat evolved after battling Hebon. Chalcedony was startled by how huge Golbat was. She'd seen them in movies and flitting around in the distance, but she didn't realise they were almost as tall as her. Golbat confused Poliwrath with Supersonic. It punched itself in the face. Larvitar was soaked and confused by Vaporeon's Water Pulse. It managed to hurl rocks at Golbat, knocking it from the air, regardless. Golbat gleefully darted to sink its fangs into Poliwrath on the next turn. It was poisoned.

'C'mon, bro! Focus!'

Poliwrath's fist flew at Vaporeon. Blood stained its damp skin. Larvitar fainted upon being subjected to another Water Pulse. Dirk reached for Beedrill's Net Ball.

'Dirk!' Rustie yelled, 'You focus! Type matchups! Come on!'

He sent out Tauros instead. Golbat flapped its wings. The sharp burst of air almost whisked Poliwrath off its feet, but it snapped out of confusion to stand its ground. Dynamic Punch knocked Vaporeon out. Tauros charged at Golbat. Its horns pinned it to the floor. It shrieked and fainted. Zileh hesitated. She sent out Shuppet and Larvesta. She couldn't yet use her Explosion strategy. Dirk had too many Pokémon left.

Hydro Pump blasted Larvesta. It sailed over Zileh's head to land on a sleeping Geodude. It twitched. Then it fainted. Tauros slammed Shuppet with its hoof. Assurance was super effective. Its Screech lowered Poliwrath's defense. Zileh sent out Pineco. Shuppet darted to whack Poliwrath, so fast it was barely visible, with Shadow Sneak. It fainted. Tauros slammed it with Assurance again. Shuppet was dazed. Tauros was battered by Pineco's Payback. Its power was doubled when Pineco moved after its opponent.

Dirk sent out Fletchling. Shuppet hit it with Shadow Sneak before Tauros knocked it out. Fletchling breathed a weak Ember at Pineco. Payback took Tauros down. Zileh didn't have another Pokémon to send out. Dirk sent out his last one, Beedrill. It stabbed at Pineco with Fury Attack. Fletchling used Peck. Zileh's friends covered their eyes. Pineco exploded. The blast instantly knocked Beedrill and Fletchling out.