Chapter 54: A Tough Girl's Walls

Ruby Jane invited the Gym Challengers to her cramped apartment on The Under's lower level. These apartments were once Cipher's most notoriously filthy dormitories. It was a surprise that the block was so busy. The charity who renovated it and the new residents did their best to make it a comfortable and welcoming place to live. Cacti, fairy lights and paintings decorated the halls. Notice boards advertised community events. The waiting lists for Pokémon battling classes with Wyatt's Gym Trainers took up several pages. Their free educational videos, produced and distributed by ONBS, were in high demand. Everyone was determined to keep Cipher out.

Chalcedony expected Ruby Jane's walls and furniture to be jet-black, but she kept the mismatched set of rental furniture that was there when she moved in. The walls were hastily-painted magnolia. Her personality was visible only in the lamps and electronic candles modelled on the Litwick family. A few family photos decorated the empty bookcases. Ruby Jane apparently thought fondly of both her adoptive and biological parents. She was proud of Sonia. There were photos of her accepting various science prizes taped to the wall above a battered stereo.

A Zebstrika snoozed under the coffee table. Rustie jumped when a Mismagius floated through the bedroom wall to greet its Trainer. Ruby Jane released her remaining Pokémon: Hydreigon, Midnight Form Lycanroc, Lilligant and Chandelure. They were clearly strong, but she wasn't interested in the Gym Challenge. She was intent on achieving her ambition as a talent scout and, eventually, a Sunset City casting director.

As long as they had somewhere safe to stay, the challengers were free to train for as long as they wished. Ruby Jane advised them to. The two people who dropped out that year did so after losing to Wyatt. Chalcedony wouldn't accept a loss. Any of the other Gym Leaders could crush her if they wanted to... but she was determined that this time, Wyatt would not beat her. Salazzle shared her conviction. It was ready to finally take Gallade down.

She would only win, of course, if she could actually bring herself to challenge Wyatt. Training was a distraction as much as preparation for Chalcedony, though she also found an unexpected companion and confidante in Ruby Jane. Long after their friends fell asleep, Ruby Jane listened intently to Chalcedony's original songs. They roamed the dim streets of The Under, training in one-on-one battles and acting out their favourite movie scenes. Raboot evolved into Cinderace. Ruby Jane was tipped off about a secret show at The Bronze Bouffalant bar. She invited her guests. Only Chalcedony was interested.

Wyatt knew about the show, too. He and Amber were already sitting at the bar when doors opened. A blurry memory flashed through Chalcedony's mind.

I told him... I told Jet that Wyatt can see auras...

She almost forgot Rustie ever said that. That was the prime opportunity for Chalcedony to reach out as Fateen advised. She didn't have to say anything else. All she had to do was warn him that Jet knew he could see auras; but when she caught his eye, he pointedly turned to talk to Amber. She smiled and waved. Surely she and Trip knew? Amber could see auras herself. Chalcedony hesitantly stepped towards her. Wyatt stood and walked off.

Chalcedony's confidence evaporated. She exchanged brief greetings with Amber and followed Ruby Jane to the side of the stage.

'He's acting like a child,' Ruby Jane said, 'I thought better of him.'

'I was pretty mean to him.'

Ruby Jane didn't ask or expect Chalcedony to explain. She didn't care what her new friend did wrong in years gone by. Some said that Liepard never changed their spots, but Ruby Jane firmly believed that people could change. Not all did, but they could.

She knew the local band, Orre Armada. They rose to fame after sewing their logo onto the Gym Challenge uniforms of Amber, Zane, Cassia and Seth. She introduced them to Chalcedony. They invited her to open for them on their upcoming world tour.