Chapter 31

(3rd POV)

Kiba: "We're close!"

Shikamaru: "There are two enemies left. There are three of us... It's three against two. We might be able to do it with one more contact if we do it well."

Naruto: "Alright! Alright! Let's do it!"

Kiba: "No! It's four against two!" Akamaru barks in agreement.

Shikamaru: "Okay, okay! I'm sorry. Counting Akamaru, it's four against two!"

Kiba: "Let's finish it quickly with our new technique next!"

Naruto: "Say, say. If necessary, I'll do an awesome shadow clone, so it'll be okay!"

Shikamaru: "That's reassuring.... But my strategy comes first. Got it?"

Naruto: "Y-Yeah."

Shikamaru: "For that purpose, we have to catch up before the sun sets at any cost."

Kiba: "I know. Full throttle!" The remaining three continue the chase after Sakon and Tayuya.

Kiba: "Damn! We still can't catch up." It was dark now.

Shikamaru: "No this is good enough. We'll maintain this distance and continue the pursuit."

Naruto: "Wh-What do you mean?"

Shikamaru: "I mean, we're delaying the attack until dawn breaks." And Naruto took offense to that.

Naruto: "Get real! We can't afford such leisure!"

Kiba: "That's right! Besides, if we're going to attack anyway, isn't it more advantageous to use the darkness and attack?!"

Shikamaru: "For us, the darkness works to our advantage only the moment we launch the attack. It'd be close to impossible to grab Sasuke, get away from them and escape to a safe location in just that one moment. If we couldn't get Sasuke back in that one moment, they'd probably just focus on guarding the coffin. If that happens, we wouldn't stand a chance in the darkness. On the contrary, for the part where they wouldn't have to move needlessly, suddenly they'd get the advantage. It'd be a different story if we had Neji's byakugan, but..."

Kiba: "Hey, come on. Aren't you forgetting Akamaru's nose and mine as well?"

Shikamaru: "I was sure to include your senses of smell in the calculations! Even so, up ahead they have the geographical advantage. Plus... if I can't use my jutsu, it'll be no use. Even if I seal off their movements with Shadow Possession Jutsu, the effect would be reduced to half if clouds were to cover the moon. It's a drag, but there are too many dangers, and uncertain elements."

Kiba: "But!"

Naruto: "Got it!"

Kiba: "Naruto?"

Naruto: "You're the leader. I'll follow your instructions, Shikamaru!"

Shikamaru: "Right, I'm counting on you!" They continued the pursuit at a safe distance away. Little did they know, a new foe would be entering the battlefield soon. Dawn came soon although it probably felt like years. Tayuya and Sakon stop on a branch.

Tayuya: "Hold on a minute!"

Sakon: "Are we almost there?"

Tayuya: "No... It should still take a while. More importantly..." They look back seeing Naruto, Kiba and Shikamaru behind them. "What are those idiots Jirobo and Kidomaru doing?!"

Naruto: "We caught up!"

Sakon: "Alright! I'll take care of this nice and quick!" Sakon immediately goes to attack, startling Naruto. Naruto throws a kunai at Sakon who dodges out the way, making a handseal. "Take this!" Kiba jumps forward with Shikamaru while Naruto creates a rasengan. "Multiple Fists Barrage!" He punches away the other two, spotting the ball of chakra in Naruto's palm.