TWENTY SIX

Stella Rogers

I sat in the police convoy with my hands tied behind my back, waiting in anticipation to get back to the compound.

Steve and Sam were either side of me, while T'Challa was seated in the front, and Bucky was more tightly secured, in a seperate vehicle.

There were four guards around him, and I knew they weren't taking any chances.

He was dangerous, after all.

But he was brainwashed.

"So, you like cats?" Sam asked, and I held back a laugh at how he decided to break the awkward silence.

"Sam."

"What?" Sam scoffed, eyeing off T'Challa.

"Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

"Your suit, it's Vibranium?" Steve asked, and T'Challa gave us a brief sideways glance.

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior." He explained, making me smile softly.

That's really cool.

"And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king."

Oh, shit.

"So I ask you as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?" T'Challa asked, and Steve shared a worried look with me.

Probably not long, to be realistic about it.

The convoy headed underground, and I watched Bucky's pod get carried away by a forklift.

T'Challa, Sam, Steve and I were lead to Sharon, who was standing next to a man in a grey suit.

A man who did not look amused in the slightest.

"What's gonna happen to him?" I asked, and he crossed his arms over his chest.

"The same thing that ought to happen to you." He said, and I sighed.

"Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Sharon introduced him, and Steve game her a sad smile.

"What about our lawyer?"

"That's funny." Ross said, letting out a fake laugh.

"See their weapons are placed in lockup, we'll write you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam said, and I looked over at Bucky, seeing he was already looking at me.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell, so do me a favour and stay in it." Ross informed us while we walked down the hallway.

"I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa said, making me scoff.

"Because Bucky is right here."

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." Nat said, walking up to us, and I nodded.

"How's Loki?" I whispered, and she gave me an unamused expression.

"Infuriated."

"I'd expect nothing less." I sighed, and Nat softly smiled at me.

"He'll be okay."

We entered a seperate room where Tony and Loki where, and I took a moment to take in their situations.

Loki was sitting at the table, leg crossed over the other and arms folded.