FOURTY SIX

Loki Odinson

Bucky elected to stay behind and watch over Tony, not feeling particularly up to fighting Thanos again.

He was done with war, and I supported that.

I knew waking up, fighting, and going to sleep for so long would take it's toll, and I was proud of him for doing what was best for him.

"Okay, who here hasn't been to space?" Rocket asked, and I buckled myself into the co-pilots seat.

After Rocket lost almost everyone he knew and trusted, I wasn't surprised when he elected me to be his right hand man.

We weren't close per se, but our field trip to Nivedillir forged a mutual understanding between the two of us, whether we'd said that out loud or not.

Nat, Steve and Rhodey rose their hands to answer his question, and I flipped a switch on the Benatar, smirking to myself.

"Well, you better not throw up on his ship." I said, and Rocket gave me a cheeky nod.

"Better not."

We knew there was a big chance at least one of them would.

"We're aproaching the jump in three," Nebula said, and I turned to face Steve.

"Don't worry, you'll be alright, I promise." I said reassuringly, making him nod nervously.

I didn't expect him to respond, and I want surprised when he didn't.

"Two,"

"Try to breathe, you can close your eyes if you need to, the view might be overwhelming." I smiled, turning back around to face the front.

"One!"

The ship jumped forward into a wormhole, and I noticed Steve holding onto his seat for dear life, so much so that I expected there to be a tear when he let go.

Eventually we slowed down, and I moved the ship with Rocket to make it hovers in the orbit of the planet we'd seen in the hologram.

Carol left the Benatar, electing to have a quick snoop around the planet, just to make sure we knew what we were getting into.

"I'll head down for recon."

We fell into a nervous silence after that, and I knew it was because we were all preparing as best we could, trying to make sure we were ready for the impending confrontation.

"This is gonna work, Steve." Nat said reassuringly, making him sigh loud enough for me to hear.

"I know it will." He responded, and I turned around to look at him, seeing him open a small locket.

A closer observation of the metal casing revealed a pinch of Stella's ashes inside, making my heart drop.

Steve kept her with him.

"Cause I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't."

Carol approached the Benatar, and we all turned to face her in anticipation.

"No satellites, no ships, no armies, no ground defences of any kind." She said, sounding surprised, but we all were.

"It's just him?" I asked, and Carol just silently nodded, confirming this would be easier than I expected.

"That's enough." Nebula said quietly, and I helped Rocket land the Benatar far enough away so we wouldn't alert Thanos.

The land was peaceful, and there was a large patch of lush, tropical fauna, that stretched over the majority of the planet.