FOURTY NINE

Loki Odinson

Loki Odinson

Bucky parked the Audi in Tony's driveway, and I took a moment to soak in my surroundings.

I'd been here before, since I had come to visit Tony a few times in the past.

I would have seen him more, but he and Pepper had a daughter, and I was too busy mourning my loved ones to be happy for them.

They got lucky, but I didn't.

I wanted to be happy for them, but I knew I had to do it from a distance, and Tony understood that.

The last conversation we had would have been around a year ago now, and it ended with a tight embrace, and a promise that we would see eachother again.

I got out the car along with Nat, Steve and Bucky, seeing Tony walking towards the house with Morgan in his arms.

We slowly approached them, and I noticed Morgan whisper something to Tony.

He looked at me and put Morgan down, silently gesturing towards her to tell me she was coming over, and I braced myself.

She ran over to me, barely remembering me from when she was a little bit younger, and I knelt down to her level.

"Hello Morgan." I smiled, and she put her hands on my knees, looking happy to see me.

"Are you here to see me?" She whispered, and I looked at the others before nodding.

"Yes of course, but I need to speak to your father first." I said, pretending to be disgusted, making her laugh.

"Go see mum, kiddo." Tony said, and Morgan quickly obliged, running inside the house and leaving us alone.

"What have you got for me?" He asked, and I walked up to him, pulling him in for a hug.

"I apologise for what's about to happen." I said quietly, and Tony hugged me back, sighing.

"It's fine."

•••

"Now, we know what it sounds like-" Scott said, but Steve cut him off.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?"

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition." Tony said, and I nodded in agreement.

He was right, after all.

"Can we agree on that?"

"Yes, unfortunately." I sighed, while the others looked slightly puzzled.

"Thank you." Bucky said after receiving a drink from Tony, who cleared his throat.

"In Layman's terms, it means you're not coming home."