FOURTY THREE

Loki Odinson

I went back to Wakanda the day after our loss, and I put Thor's ashes in a small jar for me to keep.

I found Stella's on the grass as well, and I put them in a larger jar, knowing it would only be fair to give them to Steve.

Steve and I hosted a lantern releasing ceremony later that day for our fallen Avengers, along with every lost life through Thanos' snap.

There was a big adjustment in Stella's apartment once we returned, too.

Since Sam was gone, a room in the apartment had opened up, which Steve and Natasha extended to James.

Stella's room was offered to me, and I took it in a heartbeat.

There was nothing I wanted more than to be surrounded by her things.

It comforted me, in a way.

If Thor survived the snap, I would have gone with him, but I lost our home, our people, and I lost my brother too.

Steve, Natasha, James and I stayed together, keeping eachother company and emotional support through the rocky transition, but I knew there was more that needed to be done.

I needed to sit down and talk to James.

"We'll be back soon." Steve said, waving farewell while he and Nat left to go to the grocery story, and I took the opportunity.

"Alright, I know we're all emotionally fragile right now, but I think it's time to have a talk." I smiled awkwardly, grabbing some mugs of tea and gesturing for James to sit on the sofa.

He obliged, surprisingly enough.

"I know there's tension here, so I'm going to start this off by saying that I know we have a lot in common, starting with our mutual adoration for the Rogers family." I began, watching his feature soften slightly.

"Stella is so important to me, and I know she's gone, but for her sake and for ours, I think it's time for us to bury the hatchet, yeah?" I asked, taking a sip of my tea and sitting on the couch opposite him.

"Let's just get it all out there, would you like to go first?"

"I think you should, I'm not good with public speaking." James joked lightly, clearing his throat and smiling at me.

I felt the tension ease up a little, and I nodded in agreement.

"When I came back to Earth and saw how beaten up Stella was, I swore to myself, and to her, that I would kill whoever harmed her." I started, sighing and looking at James.

"When I found out it was you, I was ready to take your life, I truly was." I admitted, James looked a little uncomfortable.

"Then I found out about your brainwashing, and that pain, that grudge, it just went away." I said, thinking about Stella and locking eyes with James.

"I have no qualms with you." I said, making Bucky look taken aback, but relieved.

"It just hurt to be lied to, which was not your fault." I elaborated, thinking about Stella.

I love that girl with everything I have, but the pain of realising she'd lied to me, was astronomical.

James just nodded silently, not wanting to interrupt me, which I appreciated.

"I understand your pain, and I assure you I hold an incredible amount of empathy for you. The situation was just a difficult one to navigate." I admitted, and gestured for him to speak.