FIFTY THREE

Loki Odinson

Rocket and I crept past the cells, and he noticed me pause for a moment.

"What are you looking- oh." He said, seeing I was staring at myself, laying in the cells bed.

"Let's go." I said, turning on my heel and walking down the hallway, pushing the sadder thoughts out of my head.

We stopped at a pillar a few metres away where I saw Jane walking into a room with a few other women, and I pointed at her.

"That's Jane."

"Alright then, here's the deal." Rocket said, and I kneeled down, wanting to hear his plan.

"You're gonna charm her and I'm gonna poke her with this thing, and extract the Reality Stone." Rocket said, looking proud of his plan.

"Then we get gone, lickety-split."

"Not a great idea, Rocket." I said, looking back at the door before turning to Rocket.

"Jane isn't very fond of me, I think a sneak attack would be the best course of action."

"Alright, fine." He agreed, and I thought about the wine cellar, thinking about taking some.

Odin never let me have any.

"I'll be right back, okay? There's a wine cellar, that's just down there." I said, and Rocket gave me a bewildered look, obviously not understanding why I was getting side tracked.

"Listen, my father used to have this huge barrel of Aakonian ale, I'll see if the scullery has a couple of to-go cups-"

"Absolutely not!" He yelled through a whisper, but a door opened cut off our conversation.

"Who's the fancy broad?" Rocket asked, and I turned to look, freezing when I saw who it was.

My mother.

"She dies today." I whispered, looking at her, taking in her features.

I missed her so much.

"I never got to say goodbye."

"Oh, your mother." Rocket realised, making me nod.

"That's today?"

"I can't do this, I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't have come, this was a bad idea." I rambled, and Rocket grabbed my forearm, standing on a platform to get eye level.

"Come here."

I have to go.

"No, I shouldn't be here- this is a bad-"

"Come here, right here." Rocket pushed before slapping me, making me gasp.

"You think you're the only one who lost people? What do you think we're doing here?" Rocket asked, and I sighed, hearing him out.

"I lost the only family I ever had, Quill, Groot, Drax, the chick with the antenna, they're all gone." He said, and I nodded sympathetically.

"Now, I get you miss her, but she's gone, really gone." Rocket said, making my chest hurt.

She's gone.

Forever.

"But there are plenty of people who are only kinda gone, and you can help them." Rocket said, locking eyes with me.

"Think about your girlfriend, and your brother. Is it too much to ask that you suck out the infinity stone and help us get our families back?"

"Okay." I whispered, wiping a few stray tears off my cheeks, and Rocket took a step back.