TWENTY THREE

Stella Rogers

I sat on the sofa in between Steve and and Loki, while everyone silently read over the Accords.

Everyone except Rhodey and Sam, who were already in an argument about it.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have." Rhodey said, and Sam rolled his eyes.

"So let's say we agree to this thing." He said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"One hundred and seventeen countries want to sign this." Rhodey pointed out, making me sigh.

"One hundred and seventeen Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it'."

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam shot back, and Vision cleared his throat.

"I have an equation."

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam said sarcastically, and I smiled at Vision.

"What is it?"

"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially."

Loki bit back a smirk at that, and I lightly slapped his thigh.

"Loki." I warned, and he shrugged, leaning down to my ear.

"If he hadn't come out as Iron Man, there's no chance I would have attacked New York."

"And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vision continued, and Steve looked offended.

"Are you saying it's our fault?"

"I'm saying there may be a causality." Vision cleared it up, gesturing around the room.

"Our very strength invites challenge, challenge incites conflict, and conflict breeds catastrophe." He said, crossing his hands on his lap.

"Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." Rhodey said, and I sighed at the fact that there were people among us in favour of signing the Accords.

"Tony, you are being uncharacteristically non hyperverbal." Nat spoke up, and I looked at Tony, noticing he had a hand over his face.

He took it off at the mention of his name, sitting up to look at us.

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve said, making me sigh.

He wants to sign them.

"Boy, you know me so well." Tony said, standing up and wincing as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache."

I watched Tony walk to the kitchen, grabbing a mug to make a cup of coffee, and everyone stayed silent.