FOURTY TWO

Stella Rogers

I heard M'Baku and the other Jabari Warriors fighting all of the Outriders on the Wakandan battleground.

The game had improved considerably with the addition of Thor and Loki, as well as their smaller companions.

The tribesmen chanted in the distance while Thor flew through the air, using this axe to drop ships, causing me to laugh when I noticed the remainder of them retreating.

"Are you okay?" Wanda asked, and vision flinched in pain before he could answer her.

"What?" Wanda whispered, and I locked eyes with Vision, giving him a nervous glance.

"What is it?"

"He's here." Vision responded, and the wind around us noticeably picked up.

An eerie feeling settled upon us, and I knew for a fact that everyone felt it.

"Everyone, on my position. We have incoming." Steve said, and I noticed Nat, Sam, Okoye and T'Challa slowly show up, all listening to Steve's call for help.

"What the hell?" Nat asked, and Loki emerged through the trees, giving me a worried expression.

That might be the most afraid I've ever seen him.

Blue and black smoke emerged out of nowhere, and I watched a talk, purple man step through the portal.

For a moment, I considered that it might just be another member of the Black Order, until Loki stepped in front of me, subtly making sure I was safe behind him.

That was Thanos.

"Steve, I know you might not want to talk to me at the moment," Loki started, and my brother turned to look at him.

"But that is Thanos."

Steve gave Loki a knowing expression, and I felt my breathing pick up, watching Thanos approach us.

"Eyes up, stay sharp."

Bruce reached Thanos first, and I watched him lunge forward fist-first, but the Titan used the Space Stone on him.

I gasped in surprise while Bruce was rendered immaterial until the Hulkbuster was half-buried in the stone of the cliff behind him, freezing Bruce in his place.

Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe.

Steve was sent flying by purple energy before he even got to strike a single blow, and I wanted to rush after him, but stood my ground instead.

"My darling, there is something I need to tell you." Loki whispered, and I saw T'Challa kinetically charge his armour, ready to attack.

"Of course, you can tell me anything." I responded, and Loki kept his eyes forward, and his back to me.

"I never stopped loving you."

I felt my heart stop for a moment, and watched Thanos grab T'Challa by the throat, and throw him to the ground.

His armour discharged violently, making the ground under my feet shake while I tried to find my breathing, hearing Loki speak the words I had wanted to hear so badly, for so long.

"Loki, I-" I started, but he cut me off, taking his knife out.

"Doll, don't say anything."

"Please-" I tried to speak again, watching Sam fire at Thanos, but he wasn't able to sustain flight for long.

"I'm sorry for leaving you, Stella." Loki said, and I could tell he was smiling slightly, before he turned to look at me, taking my hand in his.

"I hope you know, there isn't a single thing I wouldn't do for you."