- Chapter TWENTY -

"Took you about time to get back." Yasmin said as Carlota hopped through the door.

"Shut up." She snapped, hopping onto the couch.

"Carlota!?" Her mother's voice screamed as she rushed downstairs to squeeze her daughter. "Joey, she's back! Get off the phone with the police!"

"Mi bebe, I was so worried about you." She let out through sobs. She took off her shoe and hit her daughter on the arm. "Now where the hell have you been?"

Carlota winced at the pain her mother inflicted. "I was spending a night with Amelia. As I was chasing her I twisted my ankle." She lied, pointing at her throbbing ankle.

"And you didn't think to call me?" She questioned. Her mother noticed her irritated expression and sighed standing back up. "Yasmin, go get Carlota some crutches in the basement."

Yasmin went down to go search for some crutches. As Yasmin was searching, thinking of why her sister was so upset, there was a deafening silence between Carlota and her mother.

"I hope you enjoyed your birthday." Camilla finally spoke up.

She nodded her head, refusing to respond. Carlota had always been like this. If she was mad at one person and the person wasn't around for her to be mad at them she'd be mad at everyone else.

"Well, I know it's a bit far but Lorenzo is coming to town next month." She announced.

A mix of worry and excitement formed in her body. "For dia de los muertos?" She asked. [Spanish translation: Day of the dead]

Her mother nodded her head. "Aren't you excited? Your very first boyfriend is coming to visit you. I remember when you kids were still madly in love."

Carlota didn't know how she was going to play this out. She was really excited to see her boyfriend which she promised a long distant relationship with only to forget him 9 months later. The boy she did her first everything with.

She was also worried about how Landon would react because she remembered the promise they made to each other this morning.

Carlota suddenly realized that she was mad at Landon. Why? She didn't know yet. She was going to use this opportunity to fall back in love with Lorenzo so she'd forget Landon for good.

"That's great. I can't wait." She smiled.

~

After two weeks of not leaving the house, she was finally ungrounded and her ankle healed.

The first thing she decided to do was take a walk to clear her head. She had about 15 more days until dia de los muertos and 10 more days until Lorenzo got here.

She knew why Lorenzo's family decided to come and spend the holiday now of all days. Lorenzo's father recently passed away due to a heart attack and Camilla had offered all the support she could give.

Much like how Landon was ghosting her when she wanted him she decided to ghost him.

She'd always been hard to control in any relationship she was in. She was still confused as to why Lorenzo didn't leave her all those times. Lorenzo was her first and last boyfriend. Everyone else she had with other guys was just off and on hookups. She honestly didn't have time to be in love anymore. She wanted to be a doctor.

This walk was helping her clear her head of anything evil and vile to her life. Especially Landon King.

"Hey!" I voice called causing her to turn around. She saw her best friend jogging to her while gasping for air. "Wait up!"

Carlota stopped in her tracks as Brinley jogged to her. "Hi." She said, looking her up and down.

"Hi, Carly." She breathed. "Your mom told me just went for a jog right now. You got far fast."

"Actually, I was just walking." She corrected her sweaty friend. "How are you? We haven't really seen each other."

"Well, on your birthday Landon and I broke up. But we got back together literally the day after. Things were kinda weird between us but then a few days after we got back together things have been better than before." She explained.

"Is all that happens in your life? Landon? Anything else?"

She shook her head. "Of course. Landon has a huge part in my life now. I really like him and we've been together for almost two months now."

She wanted to slap herself for getting involved with Landon. Brinley is clearly happy with Landon and it seems a part of him is happy with her.

"I'm very happy for you." She smiled, through gritted teeth.

Her friend smiled at her. "But I have to talk to you about Landon's sister. As someone who's brutally honest as well as my best friend, I know you won't let me down. There was this time I met Landon's sister and now Landon doesn't want me to come over again."

She nodded her head because she understood. Landon didn't want her to see his sister either. She realized that Landon lives with his sister, which means his sister might not just be his sister. Maybe Annie was actually his daughter? It would explain why he's so overprotective of her.

Carlota shook her head due to her overthinking. "He's an overprotective person. Why did Landon break up with you?

She paused. "I was drunk, and was about to hook up with someone and Landon caught me. I wasn't thinking right but Landon forgave me." She explained.

Carlota didn't know whether to be happy or sad for her best friend. She wanted to be happy for her but she was jealous. She was jealous that everyone knew Landon and Brinley were a thing while Landon and she were a secret. Of course, she knew why but it still hurt her.

"Well as long as you're happy I'm happy." Carlota smiled.

"Great. I'm tired of walking. Can we get back?" She sighed.

*-*-*

There was literally no Landon and Carlota interactions.

Updating Monday 22nd March 2021

QUESTION FOR THE DAY: ARE YOU EXCITED TO SEE LORENZO?