Part 22: Dio's Diary (1)

"Dio, no matter what happens, live nobly and with pride. If you do that, you'll surely be able to go to heaven."

I wonder if my mother, who always used to tell me that, did indeed to go heaven in the end? Although she lived at the bottom rung of society, she lived with a pride that she never lost over the whole course of her life. But while that may be true, being so, especially being so, no, rather because she was so, I do not think she obtained a ticket to heaven.

I don't think so.

She was noble, proud, as well as pure, righteous and beautiful, and actually even goddess-like, but at the same time she was a hopelessly foolish woman.

I hated that hopeless foolishness.

Take this, for example:

While we were so impoverished we would be worried about eating meals that day-While both she and I, her son, were in an environment where we suffered from having empty stomachs, she shared the paltry sum of money she had worked to earn with hungry children in the neighbourhood.

And not just with children; with elderly people or sometimes animals. She gave charity and blessings to such "weaklings" like it was her duty. What's the word... "Kindness." She would scatter that sort of thing freely to those around her.

What was that if not foolish?

One can't help but hate it.

Her way of life where she would put herself-as well as her family- second was certainly noble and proud, but in that bottom-rung town, there was no one to assess that nobility and pride.

Depending on the place, like where the joestar family lived, that sort of idyllic country town, such character would be reasonably recognised... but in that town that was worse than a ditch, to be honest, she was a laughingstock.

The children who took her charity as well as the elderly people all laughed at mother.

They roared with laughter like they were seeing a thoroughly entertaining hilarious joke being played.

And when I heard that laughter, I didn't really have much animosity to it.

They were absolutely right, I thought. Enough so that I wanted to laugh right along with them- My anger towards my mother took precedence, so I of course didn't do so. But that's to the degree that I felt so.

My mother was foolish.

Helplessly foolish.

Be that as it may, as you might expect, being the son of the mother who was being made fun of, I was sometimes looked down on. And I couldn't just let those people that were laughing at my mother get away with it, but when I did that, my mother scolded me.

Rather than the ones that were laughing at her, she would scold me that I got angry.

"You mustn't do that, Dio. You must not live relying on violence like that. If you do such things you will not go to heaven."

Thinking back, it was like it was her favourite phrase. Words themselves have concrete meanings. Maybe they were something like an incantation.

Her simply saying those things left an impression on me. She need only to say the word "heaven," and it felt like she might be saved-I had to think that, because otherwise that woman's feelings were completely incomprehensible to me.

No, even if I did think that, understandably, she was undoubtedly impossible to understand, but thinking back on it now, I feel that it probably brought a reasonable amount of light into her life in which she was constantly laughed at.