Confessions and Revelations Chapter 5

Invited to come into the television station, Marlow silently followed the group down hallways covered with posters of past TV productions. Greeted by three individuals flipping capes open, the three members of Il Volo each took a seat. Fastening the cloak around Piero's neck, a bald makeup artist asked, "Who is your friend?"

"This is Marlow. She is with us," Piero announced.

"You don't have to stand over there, dear," he said, giving Marlow a friendly smile. "Come, have a seat." Removing the cape draped across the back of the chair next to him, he instructed, "Sit, sit."

"So, you must forgive me," the man began, "I am not familiar with you and the music you sing."

Accustomed to being asked that same question many times, Gianluca rattled off an automatic response, "We sing operatic pop. We have taken classic Italian songs and infused the music with a pop twist."

Perking up, Marlow leaned forward and listened eagerly to the conversation.

Jumping into the conversation, Ignazio added, "Several years ago, we did the 'Notte Magical' tour, which focused more on the classical operatic songs, like those sung by the Three Tenors. It was a challenging project and took extensive study and practice. In comparison, operatic pop is much easier."

"So, is it like Josh Groban?" one of the younger ladies asked.

"Better!" exclaimed the lady who was working on Ignazio. Hearing everyone snicker at her exuberant response, she turned her back. Searching in her makeup case for something, Marlow saw the flush of deeper red appear on her cheeks as she shook her head and mumbled to herself.

"Josh Groban has sung operatic pop, and so has Il Divo and Andrea Bocelli," Piero added.

"Oh, oh, OK. I know of them," his makeup artist said, dotting coverup under his client's eyes.

Using the mirror's reflection to watch all three, banking that Piero's vision wasn't good without his glasses, Marlow studied his face more intently. No longer obstructed by his frames and with his hair pushed off his forehead, he had a pleasing oval face with almond-shaped eyes, strong brows and full lips that balanced out his prominent nose. With none of her male friends sporting full-on facial hair, Marlow questioned whether Piero hid a baby face under his whiskers.

Understanding his desire to be taken seriously, she appreciated that his beard made him look his age. Watching as he leaned forward and put his glasses back on, Marlow shifted her gaze to watching the other makeup artists.

Reminded to go across the hall to the green room, Marlow once again quietly followed.

***

Gianluca, with a water bottle in hand, settled down across from her and reinitiated a conversation about music. Stuck in a room just sitting and waiting, she shared that she had a rather eclectic musical taste.

"Not too many people my age share my taste in music," she remarked. "When I was younger, I was all about pop music and was completely smitten with One Direction, especially Niall Horan."

"Younger like last year younger?" Ignazio teased.

"No," Marlow said too quickly and with a tinge of annoyance, causing all three guys to laugh. Shaking her head, Marlow knew that she would have to step up her game if she didn't want to get suckered in so easily by Ignazio.

"Nowadays, I'm more into various eras of music. I have a friend who is a phenomenal singer and passionate about all kinds of music. She is the one who introduced me to a whole new world of talented singers." Chuckling to herself, Marlow added, "You guys know of Michael Bublé, right?"