Speak To Me(Chapter 7)

Waking to the relentless blaring of her alarm, Marlow groggily reached over and slammed her palm onto the top of the radio, silencing the assaulting sound. It had been a night of tossing and turning. Reflecting on the previous day's events, though she didn't regret sticking up for herself, she knew Sawyer would be shocked by the text's tone. She had never spoken to him like that before.

Picking up her phone, she saw a single notification from her boss. Sighing, her shoulders heaved, and her chest constricted as she hesitantly opened it.

"Marlow, I am surprised by the text I just received. I have noted your feelings and have taken them into consideration." Biting down hard on her bottom lip, another wave of guilt washed over Marlow's body. "Please come into the office this morning so we can discuss this. I will be here at 7:30."

Rubbing her face again with both hands, Marlow groaned. She would have to hustle to get ready. It would take 40 minutes if traffic cooperated to get to the office and longer if stalled. Not knowing if she would still have a job to go to, she didn't bother putting on her work uniform. Putting on a pair of light blue skinny jeans and a pale yellow, knitted pullover sweater, Marlow applied her usual amount of makeup. Leaving her hair down, she threw on some low suede booties and raced out the door.

***

"You came! I wasn't sure you would," Sawyer said, beckoning for her to join him on the deck. First offering Marlow some freshly squeezed juice and having her turn it down, he sat forward in his chair and rested his elbows on the wicker armrests. "So, let's talk."

Sharing how she felt without any harsh words or residual heated emotion from last night, Marlow ended by apologizing for sending the text.

Acknowledging his fault in what he did, he apologized for professionally disrespecting her.

"You need to understand that I know this business and the kind of clients we can get," he said sternly. "I also know what you have gone through, so, as your friend, I only want to spare you from being taken advantage of."

"I get it. But that's not your job." Feeling conflicting emotions starting to rumble through her body, Marlow sat in silence for a moment and stared out at a distant cruise ship heading into port.

Reaching for Marlow's hand, Sawyer said, "I've been thinking hard about how we can resolve this situation. This will be more for me because I have allowed myself to blur my role as boss into my relationship with you as a friend. From now on, I will treat you with the same professionalism as I do everyone else. Outside of work, that's when I am your friend."

Unintentionally laughing, Marlow covered her mouth.

"It doesn't have to be so cut and dry," she said, chuckling. "We can still be friends at work. Just give me the same professional courtesy as you do the others."

"Fair enough. I can do that. Any other questions or concerns?"

"Actually, yes. Are you going to pull me from driving Il Volo around?"

"Do I need to?"

"No. Normally, I only drive stuffy business executives around."

Sawyer coughed as he swallowed more juice. Wiping his mouth with a napkin, he set his glass down as Marlow continued.

"These past few days, I've enjoyed hanging out with the members of Il Volo. They make me laugh so many times, which makes driving them around so much fun. It's a nice change.

Smiling, Sawyer leaned back in his chair.

"I am not going to pull you."

"Good. Thank you."