Chapter 65: Empty nest

It has been three months since the Twins left the house and started at Yale. Rory and Tristan have been traveling all over. They try to make sure they are home one Sunday every month for family dinners. Sometimes they plan longer trips and miss those dinners with the kids. Instead, they have Sunday night dinner via facetime. Michael and Deena have been an official couple for two months now.

Rory and I are flying to Sweden for a month after the kids return to school from Christmas break. Then we will be home for two months and then we are going to Fez for two months. Since the kids have been at Yale and I retired life has been fun.

We are enjoying our time together and we have cherished every minute. We even went to Stars Hollow and stayed at the Dragonfly for a couple of weeks. Rory always wanted to travel and now we are able to. 

We even attended a Life and Death Brigade gathering last month for a weekend. We enjoyed the event, I met a few other friends and heard all the Logan and Rory stories. Which made me a little jealous until I realized that she was my wife and the mother of my children. She had a life before me and thankfully she chose me. 

That night when we returned to our room. I made love to my wife and was so thankful that she was with me and not Logan. For the next few weeks, I just looked at her through a different set of eyes and knew that I was a lucky man. 

When I see her smile and happy we have been. I know that when my time comes to leave this world I was a happy man who made his wife happy and she knew she was deeply loved by me. There would never be any question in her or our kid's minds wondering if I loved them or if I knew they loved me. My family has made this life worth living. 

Honestly, I didn't truly start living until that day in Central Park when I reconnected with my soulmate. That was the first day of the rest of my life.  

I am planning a surprise for my lovely wife tonight. I have candles all over the entire house, I am going to order her favorite food, and shower her with all my love. We are going to eat dinner, and dessert, drink wine and dance the night away. I just want her to know how much I love her. 

I sent her out to get a massage, her hair fixed, a manicure, and a pedicure. I want to spoil my girl and make her feel good about herself. I mean she is still gorgeous even at fifty-five she still takes my breath away. 

I am in the kitchen cooking the dessert I made for her when I hear the front door open. I feel her walk up behind me and put her arms around my waist. 

I turn around and look at my beautiful wife. I spin her around. "You are absolutely breathtaking my love. I love your hair and let me see your nails. Did you enjoy your day?"

"I did. Thank you much. What are you cooking?"

"Your dessert, a chocolate cake with coffee-flavored icing. I ordered dinner from your favorite Chinese place and it should arrive in about fifteen minutes. Which gives you just enough time to go upstairs and put on the new dress I bought you."

"A new dress? Why? Why are you being so romantic tonight?"

"Simply because I love you and I wanted to treat you to a special date night in. We are going to eat dinner, drink wine, and dance the night away. Tonight is our night, we can do whatever we want wherever we want."

"You are so good to me and I love you so much. Thank you for being you, Tristan, and thank you for loving me as you do. I am so thankful for you."

"Oh my sweet baby girl, I am the one that is so thankful for you. I am thankful that I got another chance with you and I am thankful that you said yes, and I am thankful for our three precious children, and I am so thankful that you love me."