The First Day

Today was the day of our entrance exam for Hexside. To be honest, Luz and I were both nervous. "I'm not ready for this, Eda." Luz hesitates. "Maybe we should go back." "Nah, you got this." Eda encouraged. "Just like we practiced." "But, what if we fuck something up?" I asked. "Or what if we do something wrong? What if we die?" "Hey, calm down. I had to do the same thing when I was a witchling." Eda explains. "It's like a rite of passage. Granted, I was a little more skilled." "Eda." Luz said. "Right, sorry." Eda apologized. "Now get pumped, get ready, now go!" She pushed us out on the stage where we saw Principal Bump in the audience. "From the humblest of beginnings, two heroes will rise." I narrated. "We have traveled from another realm and trained with a powerful witch to master dark and forbidden magic." Luz added. "We are, Luz Noceda." "And Peter Yenkins." I introduced. Luz got nervous and threw some confetti. "Right, the humans that want to be witches." Principal Bump said. "Against my better judgement, I've allowed you to take this exam into Hexside. But can you even do magic with all your human parts?" "We sure can." Luz replied as she grabbed two of each glyph from her bag. "It's said that humans can't do magic, but we've discovered a lost technique that changes everything." I explained. Both of us activated the glyphs, leaving Principal Bump in shock. "Spells cast with paper? I've never heard of such a thing." Principal Bump commented. But is it enough to pass the exam?" All of a sudden, Luz slipped on the melted ice, accidentally activating another glyph. "We failed, didn't we?" I asked. "Believe it or not, I've seen worse." He replied. "Welcome, Luz and Peter, to Hexside School of Magic and Demonics."

The next morning, it was our first day at Hexside. Eda used Owlbert to fly us there. "We gotta go back. This is a mistake!" Luz panicked. "I'm gonna mess things up again and everyone will see, and..." "Luz, you're spiraling." I said. "You keep this up and you'll have a panic attack." "What are you nervous about?" Eda asked. "You've both been to school before." "That's why I'm nervous. At our human school, I didn't make a good first impression." Luz explains. "This is a chance to be seen as something other than a screwup." "Luz, don't worry about what those assholes think." I encouraged. "Us weirdos have to stick together, remember?" "Aw, thanks, Pete." Luz smiled as we landed on campus. "Last chance to back out and earn a brand new Bad Girl Coven patch." Eda said. "Quitting. It's like trying, but easier." "I think I'm gonna pass." I replied. "Nah, I'll just earn it when I quit showering. Bye." "Hold up!" Eda called. "Just try not to be too much of a goody loose shoes. You got this. "Thanks, Eda!" We replied. "In fact, I have written a heartfelt sonnet to commemorate this occasion." Luz added. "Oops! A gust of wind just got me." Eda said, flying away. "See you after school. Byeeee!"

We ran into Amity and Alexa with their abomination projects. "Hey guys, congrats on getting in, and not being in the baby class." Amity compliments. "I'm so proud of you." Alexa added. "Thanks, Amity, Alexa." Luz replied. "Up top. The twins gave us each a high five, along with their abominations mirroring their moves. "Wow, our first day at Hexside." I said. "A chance to discover true magical potential." "And maybe meet a hot, yet vulnerable upperclassman." Luz added. "Dream on!" King scoffed from Luz's backpack. "Looks like we've got a stowaway." I said. "King, why are you in my bag?" Luz asked. "You're a free ride to the best buffet in town." King explains, diving into the trash. "The trash cans here are filled with half-eaten gold." "Okay, but if anyone asks, you don't know us." I explained. At the entrance, we saw Willow and Gus. "Luz, Peter!" They cheered. "Hello, fellow Hexoleos." I greeted. "Hello, classmates." Willow said. "You did it, guys." Gus added, revealing an illusion that said Better Luck Next Time. "Sorry, I was covering all my bases." "So, do you know who those witches are?" Willow asked. "Those are the heads of the main nine covens. Each one excelled at a magic school like Glandus, Saint Epiderm, and of course, Hexside. Are you prepared to enter these hallowed halls?" "Hm, that's what we're about to figure out right now." Luz replied. "See you on the other side, friends." "Bye, Gus." I waved. "Bye, Willow."