Follies At The Coven Day Parade

Luz wanted to record another video diary to her mom, even though she doesn't think Luz should ever come back to visit. "Luz, we're rolling." I whispered, hitting record. "Hola, Mama!" Luz greeted. "I know you don't want me staying in the Demon Realm, but I'm recording this because I think we can find a middle ground. This is a world of magic and beauty. Just look!" I turned Luz's phone to the window just as Hooty was... shedding his skin? "What the fuck, Hooty?!" I yelled. "Oh, God, I can't unsee that! That image is burning in my brain!"

I went into town with Luz as she continued to film her video diary. "Well, you should know, I'm even learning magic with Peter." Luz said, showing off a light glyph. "And as a human, it impresses pretty much everyone." "Human! If you ever do that again, I will set your eyes on fire!" Boscha threatened. "You asked for it, bitch!" I shouted, throwing hands with Boscha. "You don't fuck with my best friend!"

Luz and I met up with Willow and Gus in front of the school, talking about Belos. "You know, I think he does it because he's shy." Gus explains. "He's just evil and shy. It just happens." "I heard there's just a mirror underneath. The real emperor was society all along." Willow whispered. "Maybe he's so handsome, people have a hard time focusing on what he says." Gus added. "I get it. I can relate." Luz just kept watching the recent video diary on her phone. "Guys, you've seen Belos up close." Gus said. "What's he like under all that?" "We never really got a good look." I replied. "I heard he's scarred from wild magic." Amity explains, making Luz jump. "I heard some coven scouts say he smells bad sometimes." Alexa added. "Alexa, Amity." Luz blushed at her girlfriend. "Hola, batata." Amity greeted in Spanish. "Did you just call me a sweet potato?" Luz asked. "Yes." Amity replied. "Is that not a term of endearment? I'm still figuring out this human language book from Gus." "Aww, Amity, you're the sweet potato." Luz blushed. "Whoa, what happened to your eye, Peter?" Alexa asked. "I assaulted Boscha." I replied. "But I think it was worth it." "So, did that Titan Blood ever come in handy?" Amity asked. "Did you finish building the door?" Alexa wondered. "Did you visit your mom, Luz?" Gus questioned. "Does she know about high fives too?" "Did you see your uncle, Petey?" Willow added. "Well..." I started. "We haven't used the door yet." Luz lied. "Waiting for a good moment, you know?" Eda and King flew down to the school to pick us up. "Later taters." Luz said, kissing Amity's cheek. "Bye guys." I waved, kissing Willow as we left.

Luz felt guilty about lying, especially to her girlfriend. We both know how devastated they would be. "Come on, Luz. There's no way your mom will make you leave the Demon Realm." King said. "Yeah. When she meets us, I'll make sure to put on the charm... that turns people into obedient zombies." Eda added. "Mom, you know I won't let you do that." I said as we landed in town. Coven Scouts could be seen everywhere. "Whoa. What is going on?" Luz asked. "They're probably prepping for the annual Coven Day Parade." King explains. "Floats, streamers, fireworks." "So, it's just another way to kiss the Emperor's ass." I stated. "Took the words out of my mouth, kiddo." Eda complimented. "I'm just here to pick something up." Luz came up to us with a frown. "Hey, Luz. I know what'll cheer you up." King said. "No bread puns today, buddy." Luz sighed. "No, I'm talking about hot goss, girl. Hot goss buns." King joked. "Bread pun." "Guess why we're here?" I asked. "Elias." Eda said, annoyed. "Eda hired someone to spy on her ex!" I exclaimed. "Did you read my diary?!" Eda gasped. "Is it your dad?" King asked. "I wish." I replied. "It's Raine Whispers, head of the Bard Coven!" "Stop it!" Eda snapped. "And they also..." "Stop it. Yes!" Eda shouted. "They secretly led a rebel group against the Emperor and got captured! I was there!" "Ooh, I didn't read that far." I explained. Luz gasped and quickly fainted. "Well, good job." Eda said sarcastically. "You broke Luz." "It was the yeast he could do." King joked. I grabbed a file on Raine that I found and gave it to Luz. "And then Raine battled their fellow coven heads? And sacrificed everything to save Eda?" Luz asked, whimpering. "It's just like Hecate and Azura in Book 5!" "According to this, Raine is still working with the Emperor's Coven, which doesn't make sense." Eda explains. "They were seen as a traitor." "Maybe you can ask them about it. Look!" I suggested, pointing at a board with Raine's face on it. "If they're here for the parade, they'll probably be surrounded by scouts." Eda said. "Oh, we'd need someone on the inside to lend us a hand." Luz looked over at Kikimora, being walked over by some scouts. "Yeah, right." I scoffed. "As if she'd give us the time of day.