Enchanting Grom Fright

"You can do this, Luz." I encouraged. "This is what you've been training for since we arrived on the Isles. I'm saying this as your best friend, DON'T FUCK THIS UP!" "Come on! Work this time." Luz groaned in frustration over a plant glyph. She activates the glyph as a small flower blooms. "Yes! Check it out, King. My glyph skills are blossoming." "You think that's impressive?" King asked. "Check this out. Two warriors battling to the death!" King showed a cat video on Luz's phone. "Ah, I see we're getting enough Wi-Fi through the portal for shitty cat videos." I said. "Senseless violence. Yes, attack!" King screamed. "Death is your god!" "I regret teaching you about the internet." Luz said. "Heh, what possible regrets can come from the internet?" King asked. "Oh, did you know the Earth is actually flat?" "Yup, that's not right." Luz replied as she got a notification on her phone. "How's camp today, cariño? <3, Mamá." Camila texted. "Good enough." Luz hesitated, sending a thumbs up emoji. "Ah, a severed hand. Perfect response." King commented. "Luz, I think it might be time to tell her soon." I explained. "What am I supposed to say?" Luz sighed. ""Hey, Mom. Not at camp, actually. I'm in a demon realm learning to be a witch with my new best friend, Peter. Also, did you know demons and magic are real?" She will end me." "Nah, she'd be freaked out by our world anyway." King explains. "So, actually, by keeping the truth from her, you're doing her a favor." "Hm, the demon at my shoulder makes a good point." Luz said. "Always trust a shoulder-demon." King replied. "My uncle sent me to eight summer camps for the last few years." I explained. "I know he'd be relieved if I died here." "Hoot, hoot, Luz and Peter." Hooty called. "Time to fill those darling little heads of yours with delicious knowledge." "Please hurry." Gus whispered. "We're begging you." Alexa said. "The more I look at him, the more uncomfortable I get." Willow added. "Bye, King." I waved. "Don't spend all day watching Mew-Tube, okay?" Luz warned. "I forge my own path!" King shouted.

At school, the halls of Hexside were decorated with balloons. "Something's different today." Luz said. "Did everyone get a haircut?" "Oh, that's right." Willow replied. "I forgot you've never been here for the social event of the season." "Welcome to your first Grom." Gus explains. "So, you guys have a weird version of prom on the Boiling Isles?" I asked. "I was kicked out of my last school dance for dressing like an otter, but maybe here, I could be your Grom Queen." Luz said. "That's, uh, not something people usually sign up for." Alexa hesitated as her twin accidentally bumped into Luz. "Watch it, nitwit!" Amity snapped. "Oh, hi, Luz and co. Sorry about that." "Hey, sis." Alexa greeted. "No problem. Let me help you." Luz replied, grabbing her stuff. "Here, your note." Amity quickly snatched the note out of Luz's hand. "Man, you got some quick grabbers." Luz said. "It's just." Amity hesitates. "It's private." All of a sudden, everyone was freaking out when the intercom came on. "Attention, Hexside students, this is your principal speaking." Principal Bump announced. "Oh, man. This is it." Gus panicked. "He's announcing who will be this year's Grom royalty." Alexa added. "This year, I have the privilege to bestow our highest Grom honor to Amity Blight." Bump revealed and all of us gasped. "Our Grom Queen." "Woo! Amity!" Luz cheered. "Get it, Queen!" Amity quickly ran off in tears. "Don't leave me hanging." "Oh, crap." Alexa and I mumbled. "You might want to give her some space." Willow said. "Being Grom Queen is a tough job, even for Amity."

Later that day, Luz and I decided to check out where the dance was taking place. "Can you believe it, Luz?" I asked. "Our first school dance experience on the Boiling Isles." "Right? I can't wait to get overdressed, take awkward photos, and for you to finally ask out Willow." Luz replied. "But I'm surprised that she didn't remember you saying you love her in her mind." "I don't know if I'm ready for that." I said, leaning on a panel, accidentally pushing a button. That button opened a hatch from underneath the school. "What the hell?" A bunch of weapons showed up on two shelves. "Medieval torture seems like a strange theme for Grom." Luz wondered. "But, hey..." "They're not for decoration." Amity corrected. "This arena's where I'll make my debut as Grom Queen." "Right, so why don't you seem excited?" Luz asked. "Because this isn't just some dance party." Amity explains as a growl can be heard from the hatch. "That's Grom, short for Grometheus, the fear bringer. It's a monster that lives under the school. Every year, it tries to break out, and a student has to defeat it before it invades the town. Ever the optimist, Bump holds a party and calls it tradition. The worst thing is that Grom can read minds and shape-shift into your worst fear. And mine is very embarrassing." "I understand what you're feeling." I said. "But, if it worries you so much, why don't you go tell Principal Bump you want out of this death match shit?" "Unless talking to Bump is your greatest fear." Luz gasped. "No, but that's a good idea." Amity chuckled. "Thanks, guys."