Any Sport In A Storm

I met up with Willow one morning at school. She's been wanting to start a Flyer Derby team at Hexside for a while now. As we came in, though, Luz and Gus were running from something. "Shit! Who's locker is that?" I asked. Willow used her plant magic to bring the locker to the ground. "Thanks, Willow." Luz thanked. "And that's why we try not to keep our lunches in the lockers." Gus explains. "So, ready for the club fair, guys?" Luz asked. "Mayhaps you'll join me and Amity in the Azura Book Club." "Thanks, but I'm interested in something with a little more drama, flare and face paint." Willow declined, pulling up a video on her scroll. "Flyer Derby!" "Ever since our Grudgby match, I've been practicing with Willow." I explained. "And today, we're starting Hexside's first Flyer Derby team." Willow added.

At the club fair, Gus and I decided to help Willow set up her stand. "You ready to blossom, Willow Tree?" I asked. Willow nodded. "Let out your inner flying freak. Once the Flyer Derby club is approved, we'll travel all across the Isles in rocking outfits and working as a team!" "Good luck with that." The abomination professor said. "Professor Hermonculus?" Willow asked. "Wait, he's had a name this whole time?" I wondered. "I'm overseeing club approvals this year, and I just don't think Flyer Derby is worth investing in." He explains. "Just because it's not as well known as Grudgby doesn't mean..." I argued. "You misunderstand me." Hermonculus said. "I'm shutting it down unless you step down as captain. I just don't think quitters make good leaders." "You're just mad that she dropped your class." Gus corrected. "Give her a chance." "Okay." Hermonculus sighed. "Put together a team for a friendly game of Flyer Derby after school. If you can lead your team to victory, maybe I'll approve your club." "You can do this, babe." I encouraged. "He's still pissed about you changing tracks." "Peter's right. Don't let him beat you down." Gus added. "But Amity and Luz are busy." Willow explains. "And I don't know where to find enough decent players this fast." "Hey, guys." Alexa greeted. "Amity said something about a Flyer Derby team." "You're welcome to join us, Lex." I replied. "Cool." Alexa smiled. "Calm down, flea-magnet!" I hear an annoying voice yell. We all looked up and saw Hunter flying away from Viney's griffin. "What is Hunter doing here at Hexside?" I whispered to myself. When Hunter is around, it's never really good. Sure, Willow, Gus, and Alexa know about The Golden Guard, but not necessarily about Hunter. Willow grabbed him with some vines and pulled him down. "Hey, you! Wanna join my Flyer Derby team?" Willow offered. "This is Gus Porter, Peter Yenkins, and I'm Willow Park, future captain of Hexside's first Flyer Derby team." "Nice to, uh, meet you." Hunter greeted as Willow shook his hand a little too much. "Your flying was amazing. You're a new student, right?" Willow asked. "Yeah, weird we've never seen you around." Gus said. "A bit too weird if you ask me." I added, glaring at Hunter. "What's your name?" Gus asked. "Caleb? Uh, Caleb! Jasper Bloodwilliams." Hunter lied. "I just transferred from the Toes? But I'm not here to play Fly Dooby or whatever that is. I have my own mission." "Okay, at least take a pamphlet?" Willow offered. Hunter grabbed the pamphlet and walked away. "Wait! Do you really think you're club will attract the best and the brightest?" Hunter asked. "Absolutely!" Willow explains. "Flyer Derby's not for the faint witch." "Then maybe I will give it a try." Hunter said. "Really?" Willow gasped. "But, okay. How do we evaluate others?" Hunter asked. "A Witch's duel? A maze full of traps? Oh! Leave everyone at the top of the mountain and see who makes it back to the bottom alive. Classic." "Um, we might not have time for all of that, but you can help by attracting people with your sick sky skills." Willow replied, leaving to recruit more players. "Huh, I don't feel sick." Hunter said. "Hey, I don't know what kind of mission you're on, but it's been a tough year for Willow." Gus explains. "And she's really looking forward to making this team a thing. Don't mess this up for her." As Gus left, I grabbed Hunter by the uniform to figure out what he's really up to. "Cut the shit, Hunter." I whispered to him. "I know you're not here to play Flyer Derby. What's your real plan?" "Simple, Owl Boy." Hunter replied. "Belos needs new recruits for the Emperor's Coven." "Nice try, asshole." I said. "These witches won't fall into your trap." "And what are you gonna do? I don't see the human anywhere." Hunter smirked. "Stay away from them, especially Willow." I demanded.