Comfort- Newt- (Requested)

Warning: None
____________________*______________________

She woke up three days after they escaped that horrifying place called Wicked. Everything had changed, Minho was sitting right beside her bed, smiling down at her. Beside her, she felt her hand intertwined with Thomas's, he was still asleep, just like she was, covered in scratches and bruises. Gathering her strength, she sat up, Minho helped her to sit and placed a pillow behind her back.

"Take me out please, I'd like some fresh air." she said.

Then she placed a kiss on Thomas's hand and Minho helped her up. He took her out of the room and she immediately heard the sound of the waves. The were near the sea, living on a beach, it was different, very different from the hideous maze and the lifeless scorch. This place was vibrant, full of life, cool breeze and trees.

Yet something was missing.

Someone was missing...

She knew very well who was...

Minho looked at her eyes and pulled her in a warm hug, she needed it, she needed all the comfort that he was giving.

"I found this in your pocket." he mumbled, gave her a metal vile with a black string attached to it.

It was given by him during the time he knew he was not going to make it.

"Thank you." she smiled at her friend who was kind enough to keep it safe for her. Because that was the only memory she had of Newt.

"I'll give you some time alone, yeah?" Minho said. She smiled and nodded, then he left.

Y/n went closer to the sea, felt the warm sand under her feet, the cool water brushing against it and the breeze that brushed past her smooth hair. For a minute, she played with the vile in her hand and then turned it open, unfolded the paper which was placed inside it. Written on the paper was a letter from Newt, she knew his handwriting so well...

Dear Y/n,

This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously I don't know if I've wrote any before the maze, but even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared, well not of dying anyways. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. So every night I've been saying their names out loud, Alby, Winston, Chuck and I just repeat them over and over like a prayer and it all comes flooding back.

Just the little things like where the sun used to hit the glade at that perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls and I remember the taste of Frypan's stew, I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much.

And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up in the box just a scared little greenie who couldn't even remember her own name. I remember chasing you, tackling you down in the lush green grass of the glade, your laughs echoing in my mind, knowing that I was the luckiest shank. I miss the way you made me feel, I miss carrying you back to the bed when you were completely drunk, saying things that you thought were embarrassing. You were always the little miss perfect, the one who knew how to cheer people, the one who made everyone's day, you were our hope.

And from that moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere...and I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would and I wouldn't change a thing.

We were crazy in love, we had something that gave me a reason to fight. Because that's what we fight for, love. I might not be there to hold you close to my heart and show you how you make my heartbeat quicken, I might not be there to kiss you and comfort you when you need me the most. But baby you are the strongest one I've met. And believe me when I say that you're going to be the brightest light in this darkness. All those shanks look up to you and I love you, I always have.

At times when you feel low, remember me, remember the times we spent together, I'll always be here for you, take proper rest but get up and fight back, fight for love and hold on to our friends.

And my hope for you is that when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The future is in your hands now, y/n, and I know you'll find a way to do what's right. Take care of everyone for me and take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. You mean the world to me. Thank you for being a fierce friend, for being my lover who knew how to make me happy no matter what the situation.

Goodbye, love.

~Newt

Her eyes were glistening with tears but she wasn't sad, she was happy. Newt was her anchor, he used to keep her sane, give her hope but now, she had to do it. He was the one to lift up her spirits. Maybe one day, they could meet again and share a kiss, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Right now, she has a long life ahead of her. In a world full of disaster, reckless people and endless obstacles, she needs to hold on to her sanity and find peace. Maybe someday soon, she'll be sitting with her friends, Minho, Thomas, Gally and Brenda, grow old and cherish amazing memories.
_____________________*_____________________