a recipe for summer romance

Nini Salazar Roberts has always liked to make recipes and plan her life ahead of time. She doesn't like surprises, but one thing she didn't count on this summer was a boy from Chicago swooping into her life.

I decided to make a fluffy chapter after all the angst I've written so far (apologies, it's my specialty.)

To celebrate one month left of school, ta-da!

-----Nini Salazar-Roberts' Recipe for the Perfect Summer Before Senior Year-----

4 tablespoons of quality time with friends

2 cups of a successful baking business

3/4 teaspoons of cash for that Into the Woods DVD

1/4 teaspoon of summer reading

6 large tablespoons of fun

Enter some local baking competitions

Mix it all up for the best summer recipe ever!

I smiled as I set down the pen on the kitchen counter. The easy part had been done, now it was time for the hard work: getting my entire list of summer plans done before it was time to come back to school.

Then, the timer for the chocolate chip cookies I'd been baking rang, and I could hear the smell wafting through the kitchen. I inhaled deeply and put on an oven mitt, preparing to take the cookies out of the oven.

Call it fate or just pure coincidence, at that moment, the entire theater gang from East High burst into my door.

"Oh my gosh, Neeners, did you bake cookies?"  Kourtney squealed, rushing over to the counter.

Seven long pairs of arms hungrily reached for the oven.

"Uh-uh," I shook my head, swatting their arms away. "Still gotta cool. You wouldn't want to burn your tongue, would you?"

They pouted and whined like five-year-olds as I put the cookies on the top shelf to keep them from sneaking a taste. To be honest, that was how everyone acted when I made desserts.

While we waited for the cookies to cool, everyone sat on the living room couch, discussing gossip and the latest neighborhood news.

"Have you heard?" Carlos said, squeezing my upper arm. "A boy just moved into the neighborhood, in the Muellers' abandoned house."

"Eh, I'm over boys," I replied, rummaging through the basket of movies.

"I know your last boyfriend was...a bad experience, but please Neens, PLEASE STOP third-wheeling us on dates!" Ashlyn begged.

So...my dating history.

I've only ever dated one boy, and his name was Bernie. We'd known each other since third grade and started to date in freshman year. I should've known that relationship wouldn't last because he was a little TOO perfect. One day, I caught him cheating on me with Lesley Prescott, the blonde cheerleader. She was three years older than me and kind of made me insecure. She was everything I wasn't: popular, pretty, and perfect.

After that, I started to wonder if I liked girls because guys were a done deal.

Nope, nada.

The timer dinged, and I jumped up to get the cookies. Everyone inhaled in the fresh-baked aroma.

Big Red held up the DVD. "Ready to watch The Notebook without crying?"

We all nodded, each reaching for the plate of cookies as the movie started.