Chapter 7

Valt's POV:

“What’s eating you up?” Lui asked, interrupting mine and Valtryek’s conversation, and breaking my train of thought. I am very confused right now, and with very good reason, I believe.

I looked at him, amazed he would even bother asking. He doesn’t take me as the kind of guy who would try and start up small talk. But what do I know? The guy’s only just started having conversations with me. “What?”

“I’ve never seen you think, let alone this much for this long. What’s wrong with you that you have to think this much? It doesn’t suit you whatsoever, and I honestly don’t know what to think of it. I’m about to call an ambulance for you.” He met my gaze like he was questioning everything he knows about me. Dude, I feel you right now. I honestly have no idea, either, and I hate it. It’s annoying not knowing what the heck’s going on. Trust me, I know. I usually know everything and life just flipped a 180 on me and now I’m an idiot.

I’m not sure how much I want to comment on that, but you've always been an idiot, Valt. Or, at least, since we’ve been together. Which, I believe, is long enough.

I’m just gonna pretend that I didn’t hear you because clearly, you don’t mean that whatsoever. Right, Valtryek?

Sure.

Awesome.

I chuckled, his concern being the highlight of my day so far, which was great. He’s not completely heartless, which is nice to know “Why do you care?”

“I am slightly concerned at the thought of you thinking.” He quickly thought about what he said, double-checking that it made sense

I grinned, letting out a small gasp of happiness, “You’re concerned about me thinking! I’m taking that as a win, even if it’s at my expense, and nothing you say or do can make me change my mind, no matter how hard you try!”

“Everyone’s concerned when you’re thinking,” Lui mumbled, and I pouted. That ain’t fair. That was a low blow. It may be true, but it ain’t fair.

“And I thought you were going to be a nice person to me,” I said, which made Lui let out a short laugh in response. Okay, it seems like that plan is going downhill already. I sighed. I just want him to open up to me. I want him to know that I’m here, and I care.

If he ever starts being nice to you then that might just be an act so that he can get closer to you and crush you easier. His intelligence matches that of Shu’s - they’re both unrecognised prodigies. I know you are no different, but be careful. Don’t let your idiocy get the better of you.

Nah, Lui’s not like that. I have faith in him, and I believe he would do the right thing, even in times of need.

How do you know? Why do you have so much faith in him?

Because he believes in his own raw strength and abilities. He knows that he can crush anyone he pleases, which means he would never do something like that. And even if Lui had to steep that low to win a match, I doubt he would. It might damage his pride a bit, but he knows that he can bounce back and strike twice as hard. Lui Shirosagi may be the biggest jerk this world has ever seen, but he has a heart, even if he doesn’t show it. He’s just learned to protect it well, that’s all. This world has broken him down more times than he can count, and he’s given up. He wasn’t born without a heart. And he knows when what’s being done is crossing the line, even if he may never admit it in public. Many people mistake him for a psychopath, and I won’t disagree with them, because a lot of the time he does have the tendencies of one at times, but his reason for doing it all was his father. Violence was all - is all - he knows, and that’s not his fault.