Chapter 8

Shu’s POV:

I tried to train to forget about my worry for Valt, but it wasn’t very easy. Especially when he’s not answering his goddamn phone. Maybe I’m being paranoid, but I honestly don’t know when it comes to Valt. And of course, it had to be Valt of all people who went missing. The most irresponsible person in the group. Because life can’t give me a break as it is. I don’t think the tiredness is getting to me just yet, I just know that my best friend is an idiot who can’t do anything for himself. It doesn’t help, either, that Rantaro and Wakiya won’t stop arguing with each other about who knows what at this stage, and my temper was already flaring before I got here because Lui freaking won again. Why can no one beat him? It’s ridiculous. He’s just one guy, so why can no one else come out on top? I hate it.

I looked at the two arguing blonde’s, questioning how they can still insult each other so much, but then realising that it’s a stupid question. I really want to slap them both right now, but I’m not going to because I am just too tired. But I was annoyed at their constant bickering, and I was reaching my rope’s end. I don’t want to shout at them, either, but I am so done. I turned back to the stadium and then pulled down my shirt, trying to hide my recently gained bruises with a sigh. I went to launch Spryzen but messed up when Rantaro raised his voice, and a splitting pain went through my entire body. Crap. When I recovered from the short burst of pain, I growled. That’s it. I’ve had enough.

“Will you guys be quiet for five minutes? That’s all I’m asking for, so just shut it!” I yelled, my eye twitching, and everyone went silent and stared at me. If this world hates me so much, why won’t it just end me? I’d rather that than be put through this over and over again.

“I think we made mum mad,” Rantaro mumbled, glancing at the rest of the group, who just stared at him like the idiot he was. Why do I insist on surrounding myself with idiots? I have no clue.

“Ya think?” Wakiya snapped in response, visibly irritated. I wonder what’s got him so on edge. It’s unusual for him. “What tipped you off? Was it the twitching eye or the sudden burst of anger, genius?”

“So you continue talking and tick him off more? How smart can you get, guys?” Daigo said, sarcastically, rolling his eyes. I’m glad at least one person has some sense in them. It seems to be a rarity nowadays.

“Did you really expect anything different?” Keru asked, and I watched as Ken finished sewing a tear in Besu, putting the puppet on his hand and finished speaking.

“I think I’m smarter than you guys half the time, and that’s not good, because I’m pretty stupid,” Besu added, and I smiled at him, feeling guilty that I allowed that to happen. I could have calmed Lui in his fit of rage before he caused any damage, but didn’t manage to do so and Besu ended up getting torn.

“You can say that again,” Daigo murmured, bags under his eyes which were red, and he looked terrible. He shouldn’t be out when he’s this sick and sleep deprived.

I picked Spryzen up and sighed, pulling my shirt down as I stood up. “I’m sorry for raising my voice. This is just getting to me.”

“You’re overreacting.” Keru told me, patting my head in what I’m guessing is supposed to be reassurance, but it was not working. Although, I appreciate the gesture. “Name one time Valt hasn’t been late to an event.”

“You have a point.” I stared at Spryzen. What do you think, buddy? He glinted at me, and I nodded decisively, a small smile on my face. Valt’s going to be alright. I just know he is. What could possibly go wrong? Other than his impending death, nothing could go wrong whatsoever. I believe in Valt. Barely, but I still believe in him ever so slightly, and that’s enough for now. I think so. I hope so. Meh. He has luck on his side, he should be fine. Y’all ever seen Danganronpa? Luck can work wonders.

“There we go, you’ve started to get your mojo back,” Keru said, a clear look of surprise on the ventriloquist's face. He wasn’t expecting to get through to me.

“How’d you do that?” Rantaro asked, shocked, and visibly confused. They never really have to calm me down, I tend to dissociate when something happens, so whenever they manage to do something for me they’re impressed.

“My words work wonders,” Keru replied, and Rantaro saluted him - the only person able to get through to me other than Valt, and I chuckled. This is why I surround myself with a bunch of idiots. They make life worth the pain.

“I’m here!” A cheery voice came, and I looked up to see Valt walking in our direction, grinning at us all, not a care in the world. Why am I not surprised by that? Of course he’s oblivious to everyone else. That’s Valt for you. Hasn’t changed in all these years.

“Speak of the devil,” Daigo said, his eyes briefly looking in Valt’s direction before returning to me, expecting some sort of reaction. No, I’m not happy. That doesn’t mean I’m going to flip, though. That’s wasting energy I do not have.

“Where were you?” Rantaro cocked an eyebrow, and Valt gave an innocent shrug, his eyes wandering over the entire group. Of course he doesn’t know. He doesn’t know anything, what was I expecting? He’d forget his own name if he had the chance to.

“And what took you so long? You had mum worried!” Wakiya snapped at him, and I let out a small sigh of relief, offering a smile to the miracle boy. I’m just happy that he’s alive at this stage.

Valt scratched the back of his head and let out a nervous chuckle. “I’m sorry guys, I really am. But I had something important to do.”

“And what is this important thing you had to do?” I asked, taking a few steps toward him so I could figure out whether he was lying or not when he came up with an excuse for his lateness.

“Just a heads up, mum’s mad, so don’t say or do anything stupid,” Rantaro warned, which earned him a scowl from Valt, and a glare from me. That was an unnecessary jab at him, even if it is an unspoken rule to stop Valt talking when people are annoyed or irritated. It helps to diffuse the situation a lot quicker when he isn’t talking.

“I am not that bad!” Valt whined, and Rantaro gave him a pointed look. Valt questioned himself for a moment before shrugging it off. “Who cares, anyway? I’m not going to tell you guys where I was, so why does it matter whether he’s mad or not?”

“Why can’t you tell us?” I asked, suddenly suspicious. Valt is the most honest person I know, so what has he been up to? It’s something that would annoy me, or make me mad, I’m guessing, which is why he’s not telling me. But what has he got to hide?

“Cause I can’t.” He tilted his head to the side and gave me a close eye smile, but I caught a glimpse of something unusual in his eyes. I couldn’t quite describe what it was, but if I had to put a word to it then it would have to be… guilt? But for what? I am so confused. “Is there a problem with that?”

I sighed and shook my head, not wanting to cause an argument. Valt Aoi… What are you hiding behind your smile? What won’t you tell us that’s so important to you? Is there something behind your smile so worth protecting that you would do the one thing you promised me you wouldn’t? I tilted my head to the side and stared at him in curiosity, my eyes narrowing when I saw his smile falter. Something was wrong. There’s a secret he’s trying to hide. A wonder boy who can fool the world with a single smile. But is this all just a facade? And if so, how long have you been keeping it up?

You’re overthinking it, Shu. He’s just a child.

I’m just a child. Lui is just a child. Murasaki was just a child. That has nothing to do with it.

You know what I mean.

I do? That’s news to me.

He’s not like the rest of you, and you know that - you always knew that. Why overthink it now? Even the wonder boy has his limits.

But why has it taken so long for him to reach them? What has happened to him where he feels cornered? He’s the wonder boy - he has luck on his side, and we both know the terror of being lucky.

You make a good point there, young Kurenai. Well, I guess we’ll see how it goes. He can’t lie forever. It is Valt, after all. He’s not a person to keep his mouth shut.