Chapter 34

Valt's POV:

Valtryek and I won battle after battle after battle and you know what? It was an absolute blast! Some battles were a lot harder than others, but we still managed to pull through and win every single one. It was epic! We got a few breaks here and there when I started to get sloppy. Shu was the one who always called them for me. It was like he was psycho or something.

It's psychic, Valt.

Whatever it is, it's incredible. He always knew what I wanted and needed, and whenever he called me over, it was always there, ready and waiting. It was so awesome! I wish I could do something like that. Maybe that's his eighth sense. His seventh being that he always knows what we're doing, and his eighth being that he knows what we need. Or maybe that's just a mum thing. Who knows?

You're straying off topic, young one.

Oh yeah. Sorry about that.

Anyway, now the battles are over and everyone was more or less getting ready to leave. But I've gotta talk to Kris after this, and I'm pretty sure she's gonna be mad at me for being so late to the battles. I looked up at the screen to see if Hanami or Murasaki had anything left to say about anything, but they were gone. What? Why are they gone already? I shrugged and went to walk away when Kris called my name.

"Valt Valt. Why were you so late?" Kris asked through gritted as she walked up to me, a scowl on her face, and I stared at her, trying to figure out whether she was disappointed or angry before realising I actually had to answer her.

"Oh, right, well I didn't know the battles were today, and when Hanami announced that I kinda freaked out and ran off. I guess I kinda just lost track of time after that and ended up being super later." I explained with a nervous chuckle, scratching the back of my neck. Most of that was true. The only thing that wasn't true was why I ran off. Oh, and I left my little chat with Lui out, but he'd be mad at me if I told anyone that he could tolerate me, so it was best to keep that out even if I wouldn't get into trouble with Kris for it.

"Is that so?" She narrowed her eyes at me and I nodded frantically, praying that she believed me. Kris sighed, seemingly believing me, and I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding. Today has been a hectic day. "Well, it is what it is. You're forgiven for now. But don't do it again."

"I can't make any promises." I told her, saluting, and she shook her head in disbelief. I am only reliable when it counts. Any other time, I am utterly useless, and she should know this by now.

"Dude, you didn't get your butt kicked," Rantaro said, appearing next to me, surprise written across his face. I am just as surprised as you are.

"I thought she would be mad at you." Shu added, appearing on the other side of me and slinging his arm across my shoulders as he gave me a small smile. "She's starting to trust you."

"Kiyama Rantaro. I thought I told you to keep an eye on him and keep him out of trouble." Kris scolded, and I cocked an eyebrow. Am I really this bad? I guess she doesn't trust me as much as we'd hoped. I mean, I can't blame her after the stunt I pulled today, but at the same time, I'm kinda offended that she doesn't trust me. I watched her continue to babble on about things like responsibility, but ended up zoning out after a bit.

"I can't believe I'm not getting the blame for this." Shu murmured, dragging me out of thoughts. I smiled, nodding in agreement.

Behind us, Xander laughed, and we both looked at him. "I thought it was gonna be one of us getting a mouthful. Not Kiyama."

"Why'd you think you would get a mouthful?" I asked, giving him a curious look. He had no reason to take care of me.

"Your mum called me this morning asking me to keep an eye on you." Xander replied with a small shrug, like it was no big deal. Are people just used to looking after me? Am I really that bad?

"Oh, sorry about that." I said with a nervous laugh.

"Don't worry about it, buddy." Xander told me. Damn. I need to grow up, and quickly. Eh, that's future me's problem.

"Alexander Shakadera. Shu Kurenai. I thought I told you to look after him!" Mum shouted, and we all slowly turned to see her standing there, hands on her hips, a twin either side of her, and we all shuddered. This isn't going to end well.

"Whoops..." Xander said

"We're screwed." Shu murmured

I watched everyone get scolded because of my little disappearing act, and then started considering doing it again when a hand suddenly appeared on my shoulder. I turned around, confused, to only be met with none other than Lui Shirosagi. He gave me a small smile, which I returned.

"How are you holding up?" He asked, removing his hand from my shoulder. He actually came to check on me. He's really being nice to me. I know we made an agreement and everything, but I thought he would just stop insulting people for the day. Not go out of his way to find me after I have an emotional breakdown.

"I'm doing alright, but I have a question." I told him, watching his reaction. Surprisingly, there was no grunt of disapproval or scowl at the thought of having to talk to me longer than he needed to. It's strange. This look doesn't suit him. I don't like it. Change him back. I'd take the anger over this any day.

"What is it?" He cocked an eyebrow, crossing his arms. That's such a defensive and intimidating stance. Like, he needs to chill.

"Why'd you choose me?" I asked, which seemed to take him by surprise. He tilted his head to the side as he stared at me, thinking about his answer. A flash of emotion crossed his face, and his eyes looked troubled. What was his problem?

"Figure it out, genius." He said, and I pouted at him, which he returned with a smirk. This isn't fair, he's supposed to be being nice to me today. This isn't nice. He's still mean. "It's not that hard."

"Just tell me." I whined, not wanting to have to figure it out myself. I don't wanna use my brain today. It's so hard to figure him out. Why can't he at least make it easy for me? Like, geez, that's so rude.

"Nah, I'm good." Lui replied, giving me a small smile while walking away. "Good luck, Valt. Not that you'll need it, you lucky bastard."

"Wait a minute! You called me by my first name when you found me. Why is that?" I asked, genuinely curious. He never calls people by their first names. It's an honour, actually.

"I've got a lot of respect for you, Valt." He told me before disappearing into the crowd. He... respects me? I would never have guessed. I smiled, looking up at the sky. Maybe this life is the right life. Just maybe if we put down these guns. Just maybe if we showed each other love. Just maybe... our world could change.