I Could See the Fear in His Eyes (America)

28 April, 1817

        Dear Diary, my cheeks hurt smiling the whole night. Maybe I forced myself too much when my representative told me to smile, even when I didn't need to I still did. I suppose you could call it keeping a low profile? All you could get from a person smiling could mean that they're nice, warm, happy, more of the like. After rising out of bed at seven o' clock sunrise, I had my morning meal and began washing and dressing for the evening. From then until when the celebration commenced, I practiced my smiling to make sure it wasn't too big nor too small. I also had to practice refraining myself from speaking too loud, when I'm not supposed to, and not to interrupt when someone is still speaking. They call these things manners, I call them self-restrain. I should be allowed to say something about a topic whenever I feel the need to! It's normal in my country, heck, this celebration is in my country! Moving on, I was directed into the "Acquainting Room" where I was told to wait for Matthew's arrival. He would be directed here too, and we have to get ourselves acquainted, hence the name of the room. There wasn't much in there: a table with two chairs facing the other in the center, a fireplace facing the door at the end of the room, a window, and a bookcase with geographical maps, geography, and communication skills books. Don't you find it cliche that a book to help improve your communication skills to be in the room? I do. I was sitting on a chair reading a geographical map of Quebec, it's still marked with my and my general's handwriting; showing where our regiment could march from Maine to the province as well as what area the province specialized in. Oh, if only we would've succeeded. I swear I think he saw me scanning the map once more, for I saw a blank look on his face. His eyes, his light purple eyes, were hazy. That haze I knew was fear, I remember because that was the same expression he gave me when I saw him directly that day. Quickly but gently returning the map to its former place, I bowed respectively to him, smiled, and introduced myself. This time without a musket pointing to his head. He didn't respond for a few seconds, as if he were a ghost, until I asked him what the matter was. His eyes averted into mine and he released a small laugh followed by an apology, introducing himself and shaking my hand. Wow, what a firm grip he had, I wonder how he'd gotten it that firm. He asked me how I had been doing, I told him what a joy it was that the agreement passed through. I also wanted to mention how sorry I was about the invasion, and if he could forgive me for it. However, that time I don't think it would've played out too well. He told me about his hobbies and improvements around his country, interesting to say the most; I didn't know he'd work that fast. We started conversing about games invented in our countries as well as the relationship between Britain and France. They had a lot of each other's blood spilled on their hands and still do, how heartbreaking. The conversation was pretty deep, saying many times Matthew said, "Yeah!" or "Also...this happened too...I remember that happening....I'm glad I got more in depth with that because I can clearly explain it in limited words..." Matthew was smiling a few times, possibly the first time I saw him smile. Things were going well off, I wish the celebration couldn't have ended so abruptly. I had fun finally being able to talk to him again. Unfortunately he had to return home and I had business to attend to tomorrow. I hope I can see Matthew soon, I'd love to have another conversation with him over topics we both find intriguing like tonight.

Your keeper, Alfred