Two-in-One Miracle (America)

25 August, 1944

I have something really cool to tell you! Well, two things actually. One is the Liberation of Paris and two is the resistance Mat and I had discovered by Arthur. Here's how it went: At about midnight Arthur had received a pinpointed location about Francis's whereabouts from the leg of a pigeon! He took a while to depict what the message read since it all looked like a bunch of jumbled code, but eventually he found the answer and dashed to our tents. We were to meet in the dead center of Paris by the 25th of August (today) with no exceptions. If you took one look at Mattie, boy did he wear the most surprised and relieved face. He embraced us both and laughed, something I hadn't felt in what seemed like forever. Moving on, I was by myself again as we were making our way towards the capital, much to Mat's protesting. When the city came into view, I had spotted numerous blotches of people scattered around firing at the enemy lines directed by a certain man. Instantly I knew who they were.

"Well I'll be damned, if it isn't Francis and his resistance!"

Breaking through their last line of defense, we had finally reunited with the members and stormed our way towards Matthew and Arthur's direction. I do say, Francis looked very different from before. His hair was messier than his usual upkeep and his clothes looked scraggly. I asked him where he'd gone all this time:

"Before you came, Arthur, Matthew, and I were facing Ludwig and his men. We were holding steady until I heard Arthur shout and collapse. I told Matthew to take him away and ran forward once the two had their backs turned. It was a stupid idea to have gone ahead alone, but under the influence of my enraged mind, I had done just that. If I hadn't fled by the time Ludwig would've had me in another chokehold, I'd find myself in a prisoner of war camp or even held captive in a bunker. You should already know what I did by then, the evidence is right in front of you. And by the way, if you're wondering, the pigeon idea was mine. Clever, no?"

Marching through the streets of Paris was so mesmerizing to say the least because from the balconies to the sidewalks, hundreds of Parisians cheered in liberation of their capital. By sunset we had at last reunited with the two. Matthew bursted into tears when he saw Francis, and Francis had done the same. I didn't know what they were saying since they weren't speaking English, so Arthur and I just shrugged and flashed them a smile. I asked him for a hug and for a moment I thought he'd only pat me on the shoulder. We all went in for a hug, laughing and crying. Matthew had grabbed me by my collar and kissed me briefly. At first I was embarrassed since we were literally right in front of his dad and Arthur, but they just laughed and Francis nodded his head in approval.

The four of us were all treated to a celebration on behalf of the freed Parisians. Exhausted and woozy, we checked in a hotel across from the restaurant and retired to our rooms, me and Mat sharing one while Arthur and Francis shared the other (Arthur's drunken stupor prevented him from refusing). After settling down we fooled around for a little while before turning out the lights and calling it a night.

I waited until he was asleep so I could write in you. We'll need all the strength we can get from tonight to prepare for the final assaults soon to follow. I heard we're going to meet with the Soviets soon in Germany, so I'm looking forward to that. Despite their alliance with Germany, I'm just glad they're back on our side and have liberated camps along the way.

Your keeper, Alfred