Long Hours of Tension and a Deceased Brother (Canada)

8 May, 1945

It's time that I'll be leaving for home to Canada. I left everyone behind for too long, and it's been killing me ever since. Inseparable, the four of us had made indirect routes towards Berlin, and by the time we could scope the capital, the Soviets had already beaten us there. We met Mr. Braginsky -I mean Ivan there, and I could see the subtle hesitation in Alfred's eyes. Resting for a few days, we (along with Ivan) flew back to France where the Germans would sign their unconditional surrender to us Allies.

The atmosphere was roughly tense with a certain man glaring at us when our attentions wandered to and fro. He kept mouthing inaudible words towards Ivan behind his back, so I told him and he gave me a curious expression. After hours of review and discussion, we all shook hands and departed. Over drinks, I asked Alfred what the deal was between Ludwig and Ivan. He told me that apart from liberating the last and most notorious concentration camp, Ivan was the one who had killed his brother in combat and demolished everything that was in his way to Berlin. Although it isn't known that his brother who's name was Gilbert is indeed dead, it is concluded that there's not a chance he would be seen or heard from ever again. I know not how it feels like to lose someone so close as your own brother, and the thought makes me glad I don't. It sounds selfish, but that's just a portion of my being. The only times I'd felt something close to that was when I had witnessed my former caretakers pass away and when I heard that papa was slowly dying. Yet from what I'm told, Ludwig's brother was just like us. He possessed this strange preservation that prevents us from decomposing or deceasing like regular human beings. Another reason why Ludwig was so upset at the signing was not only having to surrender, but also because his superior had committed suicide in his bunker, and he was the first to discover it. I'm just glad to be out of that room. Any second longer than it originally was and I would be suffocating!

I can't wait to go home! I received a letter announcing that the economy had redeemed itself into a healthy, more subsidized direction. They congratulated me on my ideas and are pleased to throw a celebration in commemoration of my determination of saving the nation. Though the invitation is nice, I'd much rather go home and truly relax. Maybe even take a vacation while I'm at it.

Alfred, Francis, and Arthur are going to stay for a little while longer. They have one more nation to settle and this war will be over once and for all. When I mean "they" I mean Alfred and Ivan. Japan still hasn't surrendered and from here it doesn't look like they're going to any time soon. I have a blurred image in my head of a man and I'm trying to figure out what his name is. I know he's the representative of Japan, and I know that they'll eventually face each other on opposing sides. Mr. Honda? His first name started with a "K" because all I could think about when I heard it was kiwis. Hmm...oh! It was Kiku! Mister Kiku Honda! I'm pretty good at names if I do say so myself. However, other people have trouble remembering my name. Only if they know me well or hang around me numerous occasions can they remember. It makes me quite sad to say directly. If I can say someone's name up the top of my head, why can't it be the same for them? Forget it, it's not important. What's important is that I'm finally leaving this continent.

Your friend, Matthew