He's Late (Canada)

17 August, 1942

This is the eighth bulb I've had to replace now! The quakes about some few kilometers away are causing them to tremble and shatter on the floor. This isn't looking too good for me, where I am right now and who I'm with. Many months prior, I was fighting alongside Arthur and papa, and all of a sudden Arthur screamed and passed out with his hand clutching his heart. Papa and I both panicked and I was ordered to drag him to the back lines. When I returned, he was gone. I searched around anywhere to see where he had went but couldn't find any traces of him anywhere. We had no other choice but to press forward, so press forward we did.

I found in a print which read that the Americans had finally landed in Britain, and they are to unleash a volley of aeroplanes across Europe today. I remember him talking about how one of his states were showered with bombs, and the pilots of those Japanese planes flew straight down on the naval base with them still inside. I was able to meet with Alfred in Orléans and you should've seen how relieved he was to see me. I told him about how Arthur had been taken back to London and how Francis went missing. He was close to cursing up a storm.

The two of us are kind of in a pinch at the moment. With what we have now, and how many we have, it looks like we need to improvise. With Arthur gone and papa missing, their men have no general to direct them. Alfred suggested that we should fill in for them, but I'm not exactly sure if it's a good idea. Too much pressure is being displaced on us and we're too far to back down now. If taking risks will get us anywhere at all, even just a small step forward, then I'll take it. I'm sure Al feels the same way too. We're not so different after all.

Your friend, Matthew