Chapter 10

"There we go, all done," the lady says and packs the stuff that she brought out to clean my wounds.

I look down at both my leg. Still looking bruised but at least now it looks cleaner and the bandage around my ankle felt comfortable, I think now I'll be able to walk better with this supporting my ankle. "Thank you," I say

"No problem honey. What happened though?" She asks as she walks to the kitchen to put the towel into a bucket.

"I fell," I say feeling embarrassed.

"Oh dear, be careful next time yea?" She gives a smile as she walks out of the kitchen. I nod in response. "Oh! I am so sorry" she suddenly says. " How rude of me, my name is Monica. You can just call me Monica" she continues.

"Oh" I smile. " thank you, Monica. I'm scarlet"

"Oh, you have such a sweet name" she laughs and I laughed too in response.

"Really?" I ask

"Of course dear, I have never heard of that name before and it sounds like a very sweet name" she smiles.

"Um" I start to say and she continues to look at me with a smile. "Will Asher be okay?"

"Asher? Oh... that boy" She sighs. " He never listens- uh well, I'm pretty sure he'll be fine, he just caught a fever"

"A fever?" I say worried even if I knew he had a fever.

"Don't worry, he'll wake up soon after he has rested well" she pats my shoulder assuring me.

"Where is he?" I ask and looked up the stairs in the house I'm in right now. Even if the outside seemed dull, the houses here have two to three stories high, which is pretty impressive.

"He's not here. My baby Issac, brought him to Asher's house to rest in." She says. "Don't worry, he's taking care of him" she smiles. "You should rest too, I'll show you to your room" she continues. She helps me get up from the chair and slowly walk up the stairs.

It leads to a small hallway and she opens the door revealing a Queen size bed. "You may rest in here" she nods her head.

"Oh, are you sure? I barely know you" I say feeling bad.

"No dear, I insist you rest here. It doesn't matter if I just met you, I want to this because it is right to care for others" she says as she helps me walk to the bed and I sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Thank you," I say softly. Monica is too kind. I'm a stranger and yet she helped me.

"Your welcome dear, now get some rest. I'll be downstairs if you need me" I see her smile one last time before she turns and closes the door. The bed was surprisingly soft and bouncy. I lay my back on the bed and immediately I start sinking into the bed. In just a few seconds my eyes closed.

A few hours later, I woke up with a very painful stomach. The sky was dark, so I assumed it was either the next day early morning or it's night.  I crawl on my knees to the door. I open the door slowly and to my relief I see lights reflecting on the walls near the stairs. I stand up on my feet slowly and made my way downstairs.

"Thanks, Mum" I hear Daniel say.

"Hey Dan, could you check on scarlet for me dear?" Monica says.

"Yea," he says and appears right in front of the stairs as I'm walking down.

"Hey! You're awake" he says surprised.

I make the last step and reached the ground. I smile weakly "yea"