BEFORE

The howls are loud and ear-piercing. I stumble backwards, almost falling over my own feet. My wide eyes look up into piercing yellow eyes that shine through the dark night. My throat squeezes into itself and I try to defend myself, but nothing comes out of me. I just open my mouth and leave it hanging open.

The piercing yellow eyes glare down at me and I feel how my chest tightens almost painfully. The seething anger and hatred in his eyes makes my stomach turn.

"Disgrace." He growls and I flinch at the word. It's soaked in venom and hatred.

More piercing yellow eyes appear on the edge and I start to back away, further into the pit. The wolves on the edge growl and howl, waiting for the Alpha's command. They're waiting to jump down into the pit with me and torment me.

"Dad..." I croak out, tears brimming at the edges of my eyes. The Alpha growls loudly, his eyes shining with a new-found hatred. I feel a lump form in my throat at his anger. "You are not my son." The words are laced with anger. I feel how my legs give in on me and I stumble back, falling backwards. Even my hands couldn't catch me in time.

"Do what you wish with him. For all I care, you can eat him alive." The Alpha growls to his pack. My lips part in shock as I see my own father turn his back on me and walk away.

The hole that appeared when he left fills up with even more wolves, their sharp fangs snapping through the air at me.

And then they jump.