CHAPTER FOURTY-FIVE

Elliot

I push past people, getting angry looks. I don't care about the people that curse me out for pushing them out of my way. All I care about is finding my mate in the moment and getting her out of her before the hunters get to her.

I head up the stairs, hearing Thomas call after me, but I don't understand the words he's saying. I don't know the song that's playing on the speakers, the EDM thumping hurting my ears. The stairs underneath my feet shake every time the bass pounds out of the speakers.

I come to the second floor, my eyes searching every face I see. There are fewer people up here. Only two couples that are trying to find somewhere private to go to. I can smell the alcohol flowing from them.

Did they drink the wolfsbane spiked punch? Oh god, I didn't even think about that. It's poisonous to humans as well. I hope only a few plastic cups were spiked with the wolfsbane, but if that's true, then that means Charlie knows about werewolves and she tried to kill us before.

"Elliot!" My head snaps to the direction of the female voice, my train of thoughts quickly being forgotten. I notice Natalie standing by a closed door, frantically waving to me. I head over to her, sensing Thomas coming after me from the corner of my eye.

"Nat." He breathes out in relief as he engulfs her in a tight hug. She hugs him back, her fingers digging into the firefighter's jacket he is wearing.

"Where's Kenzie?" I ask Nat as she lets go of Thomas. "In there. She doesn't want to open the door for me." Natalie's brown eyes glance over to the closed door she is standing in front of. I turn to the door, trying to focus all of my senses on the room behind the door. I can hear deep breathing behind it and my wolf reacts to the person locked inside of the room.

"She told me it's too dangerous for me because she can attack me." Natalie tells me, her eyebrows furrowing in worry. Thomas glances from the door to me, his lips pressing in a thin line.

"She doesn't trust her new powers." I figure out, which makes Thomas nod. "It's the most understandable thing. She's only been a full werewolf for two days."

"Okay, I'm going to ignore the fact that I should be acting like a big brother and threaten you right now or act disgusted." Thomas starts, making me glance over to him. Raising an eyebrow, I stare at him in confusion. "But your mark is out in the open and I saw it before. And I believe you're the only one who can calm her down right now."

My hand flies up to Kenzie's mark on the juncture of my shoulder and neck, my fingers feeling the small bulges of the scar.

Thomas gives me a hopeful look, while Natalie's lips part in surprise as she sees the mark.

"Get my sister out of here before the hunters get her." Thomas pleads, glancing over to the closed door in front of us. I press my lips in a thin line and nod to him. Thomas takes Natalie's hand and tugs her behind him, as they disappear down the stairs.

I turn to the door and knock my knuckles against the closed door.

"Kenzie, it's me! Let me in!" I call out over the music. I stop knocking and focus on the sounds in the room, waiting to hear Kenzie's response. "Leave!" She all but growls out through the closed door. I grit my teeth in anger and start knocking again.

"Kenzie, please! Let me in! I can help you." I plead, feeling my knuckles start to hurt from the aggressive knocking. One of the couples walks past me, giving me strange looks, as I keep on banging on the door. I stop momentarily, because I think I hear movement in the room. And then the lock on the door clicks open.

I grasp the door and open it enough to squeeze my body through the gap. I press my back against the door in order to close it. My eyes adjust to the darkness of the room and I see Mackenzie sitting on the edge of the bathtub, her head hanging low and her hands gripping the tub. My gut twists at the sight of her shaking form.