CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Jason

I keep my head down. It's easier to keep it down and let my own thoughts wonder, than hang out with the rest of the group. I can still hear them talking, planning. They are going through the plan again, checking if there are any quirks.

I sit on top of the bleachers and keep my head in my hands. My elbows rest against my legs and I try to tell myself that we are going to be fine tonight. Maddison came back from the Midnight pack to tell us, that the rebelling wolves are waiting for our command. They are on our side. But who's command is that going to be? Elliot and Mackenzie aren't here to lead them.

I glance up to the small group of werewolves and humans, seeing how my brother and Rebecca part with them. Rebecca is leading the way across the lacrosse field, while Ry is following her. I know I shouldn't, it would be the worst thing to do right now, but I rest my head back down and strain my ears to hear their conversation.

"What did you want to talk about?" Rebecca asks. I can hear her turn on her heel. She turns to face Ryker, while my brother stops right before her. He sighs heavily, like he'd be trying to shake away any hold his wolf has on him.

"I want to know why are you doing this?" Ryker speaks up. I glance over to where they are standing. Nice job, Ry. You are definitely going to get the girl if you interrogate her.

Rebecca tilts her head to the side. I shake my head slightly and lean back on the step above me, facing the slowly darkening sky.

"What do you mean?" Rebecca's voice flows to me, as I keep my focus on their conversation. "Look, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but... you made it very clear in the woods that you agree with your father. Why join the rebellion?" My brother asks his mate. There is a hint of worry coating his voice and I can only assume Rebecca picked up on it.

"What? Is the future Alpha of the Blood moon pack worried about me?" Her tone of voice is almost teasing. Ryker stays silent, as I watch the sky darken above me. The clouds move with the wind that blows. "You're worried about me." Rebecca figures out. "Of course I'm worried about you! I'm your mate." Ryker exclaims. I lift my head up when I hear someone heading up the stairs of the bleachers. My eyes meet a pair of bright grey ones, as my own mate moves to sit next to me.

He parts his lips to speak, but I press my index finger to my lips, telling him to stay quiet. Max furrows his eyebrows in confusion. I decide not to give him an explanation and just lay my head back against the step above me.

"I joined the rebellion because I knew I could never be with my mate if I'd stay next to my father." Rebecca answers Ry's previous question. I can hear my brother breathe in sharply. "And don't think for a second I did this for you! I did this for myself, because I don't want to die from the Moon goddess's inflicted pain." Rebecca quickly adds. My lips tug up into a smile when I hear my older brother chuckle.

I stop focusing on them and turn my head to the side, to glance at Max.

"And now you can speak." I tell him, noticing the way his lips turn up slightly. His dimples start showing again and it makes my stomach twist with the same warm feeling.

"Are you sure about this?" Max suddenly asks me. His smile disappears and is replaced by a serious expression. I lift myself up and rest against my knees again. "We need to get their location. We need to save them." I tell Max. "I know. I want to save them as well, Jason. But this is dangerous." Max shakes his head, glancing down at the lacrosse field.

"Say that again."

"What?" He turns to look at me with his eyebrow raised. "My name. Say it again." I request. Max tilts his head to the side, letting his dark brown locks fall over his forehead slightly. "Jason." He repeats my name. The word rolls off his tongue like it would be made for him to speak. I breathe in deeply, feeling my skin tingle. I think I have a reason to like my name now.