CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Mackenzie

Elliot is quiet at first, thinking through the day and how to start his explanation. I feel how his hands softly grab my legs that are still wrapped around him. He unhooks my legs from around him, making me raise an eyebrow at his actions. He then lays back with me still holding him around the neck. I rest down with him, my head falling against his collarbones.

"When you told me you couldn't trust me after that night, I... I was angry at first." I can hear him swallow harshly. One of his hands is rubbing up and down my back in a comforting way. It makes electricity shoot through my skin and I have to admit to myself that I love his soft touches.

"And when you ignored me the next day I was upset." He mumbles, which makes me lift my head up to look at him. I feel a pang of guilt strike my chest, when he looks down on me with a sad smile. "You don't understand why I ignored you." I say softly, making Elliot furrow his eyebrows. I breathe in deeply, looking to the side to occupy myself with something else, so it would be easier for me to tell him.

"The night we spent together... it triggered something in me and my wolf's desires are stronger than before. I craved you. I wanted you so badly that I was too afraid to look at you. That's why I ignored you." I tell him, glancing over to see his reaction. I notice how the confused expression molds into a small smirk of satisfaction. It makes me tear my eyes off him again, to avoid further embarrassment.

"Well, I like that you crave me." His words are husky when he speaks and I feel how he places his hand against my face, his fingers threading into my hair. He guides my head so I have to look at him. It makes my stomach twist when I notice the way he looks at me. It's like he's starving and I'm his food.

"You're sidetracking." I tell Elliot, noticing how the corners of his lips lift up slightly. He nods a little, taking in a deep breath to start his explanation again.

"I was angry at you, Mackenzie. I was really angry that you were pushing me away. And that day, when you told your family about your shift was... it was a disaster." He shakes his head a little, resting it further into my pillow. I watch as his eyebrows knit together and a grimace forms on his face.

"When you left, Tyler practically attacked me. I slipped away only because Nova took the attention off of me." He shrugs his shoulders a little, making me move on top of him. I rest my head back against the crook of his neck, breathing in his alluring scent. Elliot's muscles tense when I do so, but soon after I feel them relax again.

"Max called me that morning." I lift my head up again, just so I can look at him. "Max?" I question, seeing how Elliot nods his head. "You still talk to Max?" I lift myself up more, resting against my arms so I can look down on him. Elliot watches me, his eyes jumping all over my face.

"He came to me one day and told me he's with the rebellion. Ever since then we've been talking again." My mate explains to me. I furrow my eyebrows, keeping myself up so I can stare at him. Elliot grips one of my arms and moves it from under me, making me fall over. I yelp, feeling my weight tip to one side. I fall against the bed, while my mate turns to the side, his hand still delicately holding my arm. His other hand pulls me closer to him by my leg, hooking it over his body.

His actions make my wolf growl with lust and I have to force myself to not listen to her. This is not the time right now.

"I met with Max that day, because he said it was something urgent." His tone of voice is serious now, which makes me press my lips in a thin line. Elliot breathes in deeply, his hand pulling me just a little closer to him. My leg is thrown over his body, while my other leg rests in between his. Elliot keeps his hand on my thigh, which leaves sparks flying all over my skin.