Mission, Recovery, and Celebration

"Welcome to Jericho!" A man said as Kana entered the town. Kana waved and smiled politely as she made her way down the crowded street.

Jericho was a port city, a trade hub that moved things all over the world. Kana was here because people had been going missing and she was going to find the cause.

Lining the streets, anywhere they could be posted were missing persons signs, Kana took as many as she could and visited house after house looking for information. After a long day of finding nothing she decided she would do night patrol to attempt to catch the demon in the act.

This went on for several days and Kana began to grow frustrated. It was around nightfall on her 6th night there when she got a letter.

'A prospective Hashira candidate will be joining you shortly. Evaluate her and give me your honest thoughts. Also Kana, remain calm, it will be hard to find the demon with an un-level head.'

"A Hashira candidate huh? Why the hell am I evaluating her? Is this not something within the master's duties?" Kana thought to herself as she wondered why he could've possibly thought this was a good idea.

"Excuse me. Lady Asiguri?"

Kana turned around and met eyes with none other than Mitsuri Kanroji. "You're the one who's helping me on this mission?" Kana said

"Yes ma'am!" She said very enthusiasticly.

"I'm younger than you please don't call me ma'am."

"Wait what. How old are you?"

"I'm 15 years and if I understand correctly you're 16 yes?"

"Yes I am."

"Then please call me Kana. Ma'am is a bit formal for me as well as lady Asiguri."

"Of course ma... I mean Kana."

Kana shrugged off the feelings of jealousy towards the girl because like it or not she was strong and it was now Kana's responsibility to make sure she was ready. "Come on Kanroji I'll buy you dinner."

"Okay!"

~~~~~~

"I've heard a lot about you. You're a living legend. I'm really honored to be studying under you." Mitsuri said while she devoured her 17th bowl of udon.

"Psh I'm really nothing special Kanroji. Please drop the idea that I'm your superior. We are allowed to be friends." Kana said with a smile as she ate her 46th salmon skin roll.

"Can I ask you a question then?"

"Go on ahead."

"Rengoku-San, why did you help him? He told me about what you did and said you were in the capitol because of a bet. It just doesn't make sense unless.. I guess what I'm asking is... do you like Rengoku-San?"

"You're very observant Kanroji. It's a measly crush I'm sure it'll go away with time. I lost $200 because of him."

"How did you lose so much money?" Mitsuri said in a worried tone.

Kana proceeded to tell Mitsuri everything because to be perfectly honest she can't keep any secrets. Not even her own.

"Oh heavens no! I don't look at him like that! He was my mentor. That's why we're so close... but it's nothing like that." Kanroji said with a look of embarrassment.

"If not him then who Kanroji?" Kana said knowing the look Mitsuri had on her face.

Mitsuri turned bright red and looked straight down. "Well there is one boy... he's very strong and he'll be a Hashira before you know it. His name is Obanai Iguro."