Trading Off

Coiny stared at the ceiling, unsure of what to think. His mind spun and his head felt sore. "Mmh.." He tossed and turned on his bed, facing his window. The moon shone brightly through it. Small stars surrounded the sky. He couldn't fall asleep. "Mm what the fuck, man." He sat up, holding his throbbing forehead. He closed his eyes, his forehead starting to really get on his nerves.

There was a bench outside. He never really cared for it before, and always ignored it, but he noticed somebody was there, sitting on it. "Huh?" He tried to focus on who was there. It was hard to see, since the street light was dim, but he thought he could see a dark red jacket. They also had a cane, although he wasn't sure of it's color. He hoped he wasn't seeing things.

He looked at the person sitting on the bench, then at his window, contemplating whether to open it or not. With hesitation and care, he slowly and silently opened the window. He could see the person clearer, but still couldn't tell what the stranger looked like.

But then, he turned his head slightly towards Coiny, allowing Coiny to see half of his face. And he immediately recognized him. It was Fries. He shut his window silently. "Fries?" He whisper-shouted. "What are you doing out there?" Fries wasn't an outdoor guy, and with it being so cold.. why would he be there?

He slapped himself a couple of times and grabbed his jacket, which was hanging over a chair. He got up and grabbed spare boots in his closet and opened his window, not quietly, which caused Fries to look at him.

He jumped out and started to walk to Fries. Fries stood up and held the cane like a weapon. "Hey, stay back!" He shouted.

"Fries, Fries! It's just me." Coiny jogged up to him.

Fries' face immediately changed into a more tired look. "Oh." He sat back down on the bench. "What do you want, Coiny. I'm busy here."

"Busy with what? What are you doing out here, it's 11 PM."

"Ugh, you sound like my mom. I'm busy being alone, now leave." He didn't face Coiny.

Coiny walked over to the front of the bench and looked down at it. "In loving memory of Announcer Gray." Was carved into it.

He sat down next to Fries, to Fries' annoyance. "Dude, is something up?" He asks.

"Ugh, no, nothing is up, alright?" Fries harshly responded. His ears were red, his nose was red and his cheeks are red. "Now leave me goddamn alone." He spoke coldly.

"Fries, you're freezing."

Fries let out a long breath. His breath was visible as it floated up before dispersing into the midnight sky. "Yeah? Well I don't care."

Coiny quickly got up and jogged back into his house. He went into his closet and grabbed ear warmers and headed back outside. By the time he got back, Fries was hugging himself. Not because he was cold, though. His face seemed upset and regretful. Conflicted, maybe. "Here," Coiny told him. "Take this." He held out the ear warmers.

Fries stared at the ear warmers in his hand for a bit. He took them and put it over his ears. He could see Fries relax a little. "Thanks." He quietly spoke. "You can go, now."

Coiny frowned. He sat back down again. "Tell me what's up."

Fries looked away. "Nothing." He weakly held the cane in his hand.

Coiny shook his head, buy he didn't say anything.

Fries quietly sighed. "What is wrong with me?" He muttered to himself. Coiny didn't hear this, although.

Coiny sighed, and rested his hands behind his head and looked up at the sky. He crossed his right leg over the other. Might as well take things slow.