one

CLARKE'S POV-

Looking at the brick building only a few feet away, I feel an ache in my chest. It's not a scared reaction, or even a nervous burn, it's almost a relief rushing over my body.

I recently moved to Hayden, a quiet small town in New York, living with my Aunt Kim, my father's younger sister. I don't like the idea of being in a new town, completely leaving my past life behind, but after loosing my parents, a fresh start I guess is necessary. I begged social services to bring my Aunt Kim to me, but she has a long-lasting high school art teacher gig here, a nice place with a room for me to stay, and most of my other family lives here as well. Which I'm not excited for at all, not only have I never met this family of mine, but they've avoided me ever since I was born. How is it my fault that I was born while my parents were starting college and ruined their chance at being big time surgeons.

A blonde-haired, sketchy boy passes me on a skateboard, almost practically knocking me over into a nearby bush. I swerve to the side, just missing his skatebaord stride. He laughs as we make eye contact, shrugging and holding out his arms. I scoff, rolling my eyes. I take a deep breath, realizing that I should step inside and head to the main office to drop off my papers and start attending class. I head to the sidewalk, following other students rushing inside with only two minutes till the bell rings. I take the door from a friendly boy who holds it out for me.

He gives me a short glare, and stops in front of me," You're new around here, aren't you?"

I nod, my mouth forming a straight line.

He smiles, holding out his hand," I'm Finn."

I take his hand, shaking it softly," Clarke." I look away, gazing around at the wondering students, the different hallways and signs, posters, flyers.

" Looking for the office?" He asks, following my gaze around.

I nod," Yeah, mind pointing me in the right direction, I can take it from there."

He gives a short laugh, grinning," It's up these stairs and to the left, there's a huge glass window full of trophies right before, you won't miss it."

" Thanks...Finn." His features light up when I say his name. His brown eyes bright, long brown hair flowing, and nice smile peering down at me. He's a different kind of cute, a mysterious kind of interesting. I'm too stubborn and independent for a boyfriend at the moment; he better not get any ideas.

I turn around, heading towards the stairs. I make eye contact with a few people, some old lady teacher giving me a stern look, a happy peachy straight A student-looking girl, and some basketball jock guy. My brown boots skip up the stairs, in a hurry to make it to this office so I'm not entirely late to class.

I get my papers, scheduling and rulebook, and head to my first period class, Pre-Calc with Mr. Zimmons, third floor, room 316. Now where's that? Great, I'm lost.

I turn a corner, running right into another girl. She groans," Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush." She states, walking off.

" No, it's not your fault, I have no idea where I'm going." I call out, rolling my eyes in annoyance.

She stops walking, taking a deep breath," Alright where you going, new girl?"

" 316?" I ask, facing her.

" End of the hall to the right." She says, actually forming her lips into a smile. Her high ponytail and cheerleading uniform actually made her look like your school's average cheereading it-girl, but I could totally be wrong.

I smile back," Thank you."

" No problem..." She fades out, as if asking for my name.

" Clarke." I say with a nod.

" Octavia. Don't be a stranger, Clarke." She smiles, spinning around and continuing on her stride down the hall.

I face the classroom door, taking a nervous halt. I'm not much of a people person, it's always just been my parents and I; and my art tools. I never had many friends, never went to parties, never done anything a typical teenager would do. Just open the door, Clarke, you have nothing to fear. You're strong and independent, and you can handle anything. Even the strong ones struggle sometimes.

I force my thoughts out, taking hold of the door and walking in. I'm met with maybe twenty pairs of eyes staring at me from rows of desks and one pair of old teacher eyes watching me from the chalkboard. Mr. Zimmons smiles," Hello there."

I stare blankly at him, pushing out a smile and a couple words," I'm joining your class." I step forward, letting go of the door and handing him my pass from the office.

He reads it, and nods," Everyone, welcome Clarke Griffin to our class. Where you from, Clarke?" He asks.

" Seattle." I answer.

" Welcome to Mount Weather High, you may take a seat next to Ms. Reyes over in the right corner. Just watch for class today then afterwards I will catch you up on our curriculum and notes, okay?"

" Sure." I say, making my way to back. A black-haired boy in the second row smirks at me while I pass him. As if. I'm not that kind of girl.

I pull the chair from the desk, sitting down and dropping my leather bag to the floor.

The girl next to me smiles," That's Bellamy Blake, school's biggest player and asshole." She whispers.

" Huh?"

She motions to that black-haired guy.

I nod," I can tell..."

She stares at me for awhile," Doesn't it rain a lot in Seattle?"

I nod," Yeah."

" Why would you live there then?"

" Wasn't exactly my choice?" I answer.

She nods," Right, your parents, did one of them get a new job or something?"

" No. They died." I answer, honestly.

Her smile fades," Well that's pretty depressing."

" Yeah."

" How about after school we hangout, I could introduce you around to my friends?"

" That's alright." I say as kindly as possible.

" Wasn't long ago I was the new girl and it's hard being the new girl here, you have to admit." She says furrowing her brow. " We can go to this pizza place down the road from my house, you have to like pizza?"

I nod," I do, alright, I'll come."

She smiles," We're going to be great friends, Clarke." I can't tell if she's just naturally friendly, or she just feels pity, or even guilty, because of my parents. Probably both. Either way, having a friend wouldn't be so bad, and by the way she comes across, we might make good friends. She has a great fashion sense, kind of punk mixed with rocker.

*** A/N

Eeep! I'm so so excited to start this story! I hope you guys enjoyed! XOXO