forty-one

CLARKE'S POV-

" Aunt Kim? Where's my phone? I can't find it anywhere." I ask, walking down the stairs and coming into the kitchen.

" I made you some grilled cheese." She smiles, holding out a plate. " I was going to deliver it to you. Why aren't you resting?"

" Where's my phone?"

She smiles, taking a sigh," It's just a distraction."

" I need to call Bellamy."

" Clarke."

" Is there something I don't know...why can't I call him?"

" You have school in ten minutes." She says ignoring me, carrying on with her getting ready, walking passed me to head upstairs. I wait for her to leave, and I search through her purse. I find my phone, pulling it out and stepping outside. I eagerly dial Bellamy's contact, ready to hear his voice, and let it calm me down.

" Hi, you reached Bellamy, I'm busy right now, leave a message, and we'll see what happens next. Bye." Voicemail.

I sigh, dropping my phone from my ear.

-

" It must be easy being an artist."

I turn around, dropping my brush onto the floor. Dean stands in the doorway of my Aunt's art classroom. I escaped here after school while she sat in a meeting. His face is a little beat up, purple eye, busted lip, and a bruised cheek.

He steps in," I mean, if I wanted to take a picture of a unicorn, I'd have to find one."

I laugh, rolling my eyes. " Right, then you'd have that ever so difficult task of pushing a button."

" I wanted to tell you something."

" What about?"

" Your sneaky boyfriend."

" It's not your place..."

He shrugs," I know."

" Then I think you should go." I return my eyes to my painting. He comes up behind me and sits next to me.

" The other night, at that party...I overheard him talking to that Raven girl; saying that if she'd take him back, he'd never talk to you again."

" He wouldn't say that."

" Sorry. He's just not the guy you think he is."

" Get out, Dean, you're being pathetic."

He holds up his hands," Whatever. See you around, Clarke."

I watch him leave, questioning what he had said. Bellamy avoided me all day, skipped class that we share, went other directions in the hallway, and was a no-show for all the times we meet during the day. I have no idea what's going on, but I don't remember anything from that night, maybe that's where all the answers are. Maybe he did say all of that.

I find myself sneaking into the office later, looking through the files of students, which luckily was wide open and free to search. I catch Dean's file, taking his address, typing it into my phone. I put it away, hearing a shuffle of teachers coming out of an office. I hop out from behind the desk, dashing out of the main office into the hallway.

I meet Willa in the hallway, she smiles," Hey, how are you doing?"

I fake a smile," I'm great. Hey, can I ask you for a favour?"

" Yeah. Of course, what is it?"

" I need a ride." I say with a nod.

*** A/N

This book is going to take a turn, and I know it's not in any way you can predict, but the ending needs it to happen, so CHILL PLEASE XOXO

(Just prepare yourself kiddos)