Books that the SCPs might read?

It was requested by : creepyalienghost in Tumblr .

SCP 035 

 Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna is shipped off to boarding school in Paris where she meets the super-charming Etienne, and that's when things get interesting. I was a squealing, giggly, mush-fest all the while through reading this book. Stephanie Perkins knows just how to turn a seemingly ordinary love story into an unputdownable read. 

 SCP 040 

Your Brain Needs a Hug: Life, Love, Mental Health, and Sandwiches

Just the title of this book by Rae Earl makes us feel a little lighter. And we don't know about you, but our brains could definitely use a hug right now. While the book is geared towards teens, we found Earl's advice to be relevant for all ages — particularly for anyone who struggles with depression, anxiety, social media addiction, and self-esteem issues. TBH, pretty much anyone can benefit from this book!

 SCP 049 

 And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

And the Mountains Echoed is such an amazing and heartwarming read. It's about a pair of siblings that fate cruelly separates and then finally reunites. A must-read for its simple yet gripping narration and amiable characters. 

 SCP 049-j 

 The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain

This is a French romance novella, and basically a love letter to book lovers. There's mystery, romance, and some of the most beautifully crafted sentences and paragraphs I have ever read. The ending is so sweet, even though you wonder how you ever got there so soon. 

 SCP 053 

Lulu and the Rabbit Next Door by Hilary McKay

Lulu and her cousin help their neighbor Arthur learn to love and care for his (neglected) rabbit. She doesn't want her neighbor to feel bad so she writes the rabbit little notes with helpful gifts signed from her own pet rabbit named Thumper. It's a kind way to show Arthur how to take care of his new pet 

SCP 073 

HumanKind: Changing the World One Small Act At a Time

Looking for heart-warming stories of kindness and compassion? HumanKind by Brad Aronson was made for you. But the book isn't only full of uplifting stories that will move you to happy tears, it's also packed with practical and actionable tips for how to be kinder in your everyday. One thing is for sure: after you put this book down, you'll feel inspired to do something nice for someone else. And because of that, we think this is one of the best books on the planet! 

SCP 076 

 Do Unto Animals

We absolutely DEVOURED this book by Tracey Stewart. Whether you're looking for tips on how to better understand skunks and squirrels or read your pet's body language, every page is full of compassionate wisdom about to treat animals in a way that they deserve. Also, the illustrations are absolutely beautiful — we nearly wanted to pet the pages because the animal drawings were so lovable. 

SCP 079 

Walden (Henry David Thoreau)

With the outdoorsman renaissance happening as we speak, it is nice to look back at one of the books that probably started it. Walden isn't the bore you read back in middle school, it takes time to appreciate like a nice bottle of red. Thoreau's masterpiece tackles so much while quietly nudging your brain into activity. It also makes you want to build a cabin 

SCP 096 

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Told from the perspective of the horse, this story is so beautifully written that it's easy to get lost in it's pages. I laughed and cried, as did my daughter when she read it. 

 SCP 105 

 Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Warm and fuzzy the whole way through, Dandelion Wine is by far the best story to make you feel good. Though I'm not the correct age to directly relate to the young adult story, I still felt the warm summer days and the wonder of it all. 

 SCP 106 

 Catch-22 – Joseph Heller

"War is hell," is the old adage we all know, but Catch-22 looks to modify that a bit. Instead, war becomes super goddamn weird. The book follows a bomber squadron in the Second World War whose collective sanity is slowly being eroded by whatever passes for power. Throughout it all, the main character keeps trying to prove himself insane enough to be kicked out of the Navy, which is precisely why he can't be kicked out. Which is a catch 22 and yes, this is where the phrase comes from. It's a great extrapolation of quirks and idiosyncrasies we see in day to day life, only this time, they're affecting war 

 SCP 134 

(I know she don't have eyes . But there is a books for blind people) 

A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

A Mango-Shaped Space is about a 13-year-old girl with synesthesia (she can see, taste, and hear colors) and her journey in getting a diagnosis and accepting herself and all her differences. It's sort of a coming-of-age story, too.As someone with multiple chronic illnesses who has gone through the same process at the same age, this really was an incredible reading experience. One of my favorite quotes is "We all do the best we can, trying to keep all the balls in the air at once." I recommend it to everyone. 

 SCP 173 

Rabbit, Run (John Updike)

The greatest mid-life crisis novel of all time doesn't actually deal with a mid-life crisis at all. Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom is 26 when he decides to leave his wife and son for a new life. Of course, what that new life is, and what exactly he wants out of it isn't clear to the reader or to Rabbit himself. It will strike a cord with all men who struggle with the idea of settling down. 

 SCP 239 

 The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling 

SCP 682 

THE WOLF AND THE WATCHMAN BY NIKLAS NATT OCH DAG

If you're the kind of person that can't get enough of Scandi noir films, TV shows and literature, then Niklas Natt och Dag's The Wolf And The Watchman should be next on your reading list. Set in 18th-century Stockholm, this tale is as dark as it gets, following the titular watchman and a detective as they hunt down the killer behind a dismembered corpse that appears in a local pond. As gruesome as it is gripping, it's the perfect literary companion as the nights get longer and increasingly eerie. 

SCP 847

The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell

Two priests are called in to examine a girl who might be possessed by the devil. The Exorcist, right? Nope, it's Ray Russell's The Case Against Satan, a novel of theological horror that beat William Peter Blatty's book to print by eight years. The Case Against Satan is as much the story of a crisis of faith as it is a supernatural tale, and readers looking for a nuanced take on both should give it a try 

SCP 953 

THE PILLOW BOOK BY SEI SHŌNAGON

If you want to learn a bit more about the Japan of the past – and also, weirdly, all of us in the present – The Pillow Book is a cult classic you should absolutely try. Sei Shōnagon was a lady-in-waiting in the court of Empress Teishi in the year 1000 and here she collects her thoughts and musings about court life. To read a woman more than 1,000 years ago being as philosophical, neurotic and scandalous as anyone is today on social media is a thrill that lasts from the start to the end. 

SCP 1678 

 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Absolutely moving, the struggles Sayuri faces are painted so beautifully by Arthur Golden's masterful craft that you totally empathize with her as she grows and triumphs in a world designed to see her fail. The ultimate conclusion of the novel fills me with such warmth — it's both entirely unexpected and wholeheartedly appreciated.