《Chapter 38》Insecurities

Adam POV*

"Did you get the picture?" Julie yelled excited. "Yup!" I lowered the camera and watched them lose the pose they were in. "Let me see!" She said as she walked up to me.

I gave her the camera and joined the other ad they continued to stare at the lions beneath them.

For our project, we had decided to do it about snakes. We went to the zoo to get pictures and ask about them to the guides and other things.

We had already finished at that part of the zoo but now everyone decided to see this as a school trip and now we were just going around to take pictures in front of every animal we found.

I wasn't against it, I was having a lot of fun. It just felt like something was missing. We continued along to the next animals and again took a bunch of pictures.

After I ran into Nathan on Tuesday, I went back to their room to ask Cole what that was about. But he didn't tell me anything either. It was probably nothing but something felt off. It was the first time I felt like he was, well... lying to me?

I tried to forget about it. It was nothing. He probably just had something to do he felt embarrassed about. Or he had to get some stuff for the homework he left in the room. Yeah, definitely.

"Hey is everything okay?" Suddenly Julie appeared in front of me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Huh-? Oh. Yeah..?" I said confused. She kept looking at me skeptically. As I awkwardly stood there.

"Are you sure, you've been dozing off a lot today?" She pushed. "Yeah I'm fine, just tired, I guess.." I lied. She stayed quiet for a bit before the other called us to move on.

"Okay, but if there is something I can help with..." I smiled. "I'm fine, really."  She nodded and left to join the other. I followed behind.

Maybe it would be good to get it off my chest. But I didn't really know them very well, how could they possibly help me. Besides, I'm not sure I want to tell them.

----

It's been almost two weeks, he still disappears every day and I still don't know where to. Seems like I'm the only one that doesn't. Why is me that he's hiding from?

I haven't even really heard from him much, to be fair I have also been working with the group pretty much daily. But we haven't even so much as text in the last couple of days. I don't understand what's happening.

And maybe that has been showing on my face as well.

"Hello, earth to Adam" George snapped me back. I looked up confused. "You're doing it again." He laughed.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm just-" I started but Julie interrupted me. "Tired, yes you've used that excuse a million times by now. Just tell us what going on." She smiled.

"Really it's nothing..." I said I'm probably just overreacting anyway. "It's not nothing, dude" George sighed. "Something is going on, and you can tell us." He tried.

"I mean, yeah we haven't known each other that long, but I promise I won't tell." He said, placing his hand on his chest. "He's right, we're trustworthy." Jean joined in.

Julie nodded as they all looked at me in anticipation. "It's just, well personal." I sighed. I still didn't want to tell them, I guess I was scared they'd confirm my suspicions.

"As I said, secrets safe with us, if you need to get it out, go ahead," George said again. Why were they so set on me talking.

I let out a sigh before I decided to just let it out. "Well it's uh, my..." I stayed quiet for a bit before deciding to just do with it. "My boyfriend."

I was scared of their reaction, but they didn't have one. They just waited for me to continue. "He's been gone every day and no ond seems to tell me where he goes." I sighed.

It did feel kind of good to tell someone.

"What do you mean?" Julie asked. "It just feels like everyone knows except for me." I continued. "Then why don't you just ask him?" George said. "I tried" I laughed. "But I just keep getting different answers..."

"Then maybe you should be a little pushier with asking," George suggested. "What do you mean?" Jean asked. "I mean- just be firm, walk up to him and ask him, and don't stop until he tells you the truth." He explained.

"I don't think that- I'm sure I'm just overthinking this it's probably nothing," I said in defense. "If it's nothing he can tell you." He said firmly.

"You could just follow him." Jean shrugged. "Follow him?" Julie laughed. "Yeah after school, just stalk him until you know where he goes." She said.

"No- even if wanted too I couldn't. He's gone before I even know he left." I sighed. "I'm sure it's fine..." Julie laughed, a little uncomfortable. "I think you're right." She said looking at me "it's probably nothing."

"Yeah.." I smiled. "I  think you just need to trust him." She continued. "For how long have you known him?" She asked. "Almost three years," I said. She nodded. "And you trust him?" I nodded. "Then don't worry, it's gonna be okay. "

Suddenly George patted me on the shoulder and I gave a weak smile. "Yeah... I hope so" I said, more to myself than to them.

----

We finished the work for today and I headed back to my room. On the way there I noticed Nathan standing in front of his room. He noticed me as well.

"Oh hey." He smiled tiredly. "Hey," I said walking up to him. "We're you working on your group project?" He asked as he turned to face me. I nodded. "I see."

He looked at me for a bit. "Is everything okay?" He asked worriedly. "Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled.

All  I had to do was trust him.

"I'm just tired I guess" I shrugged. "Then you should get some sleep. It's pretty late." He smiled. "Yeah," I yawned. He smiled he pulled me into a hug.

I hugged him back tightly. Feeling a bit better. But there was still something that didn't sit right.

"Goodnight" I heard him say. "Goodnight" I laughed, my voice muffled in his shirt. We let go and I continued to my room. I quickly changed my clothes and went straight to bed.