3 | Maedhros' Socks and Slides

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Glorfindel | The Balrog Slayer

Location: Unknown

Time: Unknown

Opening his eyes was a struggle, as the dry tears cracked around the ducts. His nose then twitched, sensing an odd scent that reminded him of the healing halls mixed with Erestor's study.

Erestor.

Oh Elbereth... he missed him so much. How his fëa ached to know that the Noldorin elf wouldn't know truly how he felt of him. Those last moments in his hröa, remembering three ages worth of his second life.

And now, he was not sure if was truly able to return.

His death had been quick and not as painful as the first. Unlike his second death, the battle and destruction of his fallen home of Gondolin had brought him mental and physical scars that had to heal for over a thousand years. Decades of having to wander the Halls of Mandos along with Ecthelion before he chose to be re-embodied and stay in his home. From then, he believed he had finally done what the Valar had tasked him as well as atone what he had done with the Noldor who disobeyed Manwë's orders to return to Aman.

But his heart then ached for another.

Elemmírë, his little sister and the only kin that had survived close to him during the crossing of Helcaraxë.

His doubts of fulfilling his promise to a certain Vala had him worrying during his stay in Tirion. He loved his parents, for he thanked his Noldorin mother and Vanyarin father for giving him life and choosing to save Elemmírë instead.

Then the opportunity arose, and he was brought before the Valië: Varda Elentári, who informed him that he would continue his promise as well as help the free peoples of Middle Earth against the uprising darkness of Sauron.

The Second Age passed, and many figures passed away. The last High King of the Noldor: Ereinion Gil-Galad, and King Elendil of Númenor. Lost at the final battle against Sauron and Mordor. High Queen Celebrían of the Noldor sailed just by the end of the last year of the Age along with the majority of the great peoples of the Noldor and Sindar of Lindon.

Whilst they went off to Valinor, Glorfindel chose to stay to continue his promise. But not at of spite, but out of his love of protecting not only his sister but any kin of Tuor and Idril. He remembered the fair princess of Gondolin, the closest friend to Elemmírë during their time together before the city's fall. And so, he protected those of Elrond's line, and his job was easier considering that his sister had finally married the half-elven after an entire age.

Honestly, if he had waited for another age: he would have threatened to cut his entire hair if they did not marry.

And his golden hair on his head was practically the only sacred thing he would leave this world.

He thought peace was finally eternal, but The Eternal herself didn't last long. Glorfindel had finally lost himself there the moment she died. He had been by her side for years, and he couldn't save her. Not him nor Elrond or his nephews.

Sometimes he wished up to Elbereth to finally allow him to fade. To finally accept it and return to Valinor.

However: he would not abandon any of Elemmírë's children and Elrond himself. He loved them fiercely no matter how much they hated being coddled or treated like children. He adored his nephews (no matter how much their pranks annoyed him to the ends of the earth) and loved his niece. They were the pieces Elemmírë left of herself to Elrond, the promise she gave to them.