Chapter One

Underneath Moonlight 

There was soft lighting coming through the windows. It was barely enough light for anyone to be able to see under. Except for her, who could see through the darkness better than she could see in the crisp daylight. This time however, the mere thing that had kept her alive through the years, the silver glow of her eyes as they adjusted themselves to the light, was nothing more than another weakness to erase.

Aubrette closed her eyes, deciding to guide herself through the shadows of Blackstone castle with just her ears. Nerezza was a fast learner, but she was not patient, and she was too prompt to reveal her next move. That would be the weakness she would have to erase. Next time.

There was a clicking sound as the point of something sharp settled against the marble floor of the throne room. Aubrette moved to the right just before Nerezza's training sword slammed to the floor. It was the first time both of them had trained together, the first time she trained with anyone besides Mason at all. The first time she knew any mistakes made during their encounter would lead to real wounds. Not laughter or fake bruises.

Aubrette could hear her own breath as it came out of her mouth.

Too loud. Too reckless.

If Nerezza had any experience at all she would've long cut her skin with her sword, long discovered her body hidden behind the pillars of the throne room.

Aubrette looked over, careful to not reveal her position with the brightness of her eyes. Nerezza stood with her back towards her. Another weakness. Another mistake to erase.

Nerezza did not have time to move before Aubrette portaled herself in front of her eyes, a simple smile all she gave her to realize she'd lost before even trying. Nerezza fell backwards, stoping her body with both of her hands. Aubrette pushed her sword against her neck and gasped as she felt the air around them turn colder.

Her mother was watching. Aubrette tightened the grip on her sword.

"Finish" the queen said, looking directly at Nerezza. Who closed her eyes, waiting for Aubrette to punch her face, or her stomach, something that would remind her to be better next time. To not be as weak. To make sure she'd be the one inflicting the pain and not otherwise. Aubrette released her grip.

"Do you not remember the punishment for loosing a fight my dear?" Asked her mother, and Aubrette nodded. Of course she knew. She had lost so many times that the pain was forever stained inside her brain. Haunting her, and old friend in disguise.

"I don't want to hurt her" she answered truthfully, her mother's eyes flared at the words. Aubrette threw her sword to the ground, the metal echoing as it crashed to the floor.

"You will do as I say" Her mother said, grabbing her arm. Aubrette took a deep breath before portaling away from her grip, rushing down the halls of the castle, searching for a place to hide. It had been an instinct, and foolish one, one she would pay for. Portaling from her mother was not allowed. Ever.

Aubrette hid herself behind the cover of curtains, afraid that her room would be the first place she'd go looking for her. She held her breath, and forced her heart to stop beating for an instant. But it was not enough. Her mothers shadows wrapped around her wrists and ankles, dragging her out of her safe spot.

"No! Please! I'm sorry!" She yelled trying to grab onto anything, her nails creaking against the plain floor, but it was useless. Her mother lifted her into the air, letting go of her just as she appeared on the throne room once more. Aubrette knew better than to softened her fall. Nerezza still laid on the floor, her eyes closed.

"Take it" Her mother said, pointing at the small sword on the ground. "Do not make me repeat myself" Aubrette took a deep breath and grabbed it. "Do it" she said, and her voice sounded so similar to the one she used to tell her goodnight, it made her stomach sink. This was her fault. She knew better than to run away.

Aubrette held onto the sword so hard her hands almost started bleeding. Her eyes watched over Nerezza, the slight tremor of her arms.

"I can't mom I can't" she cried, pulling her hands to her chest and kneeling. Hoping that it would help, somehow.

She wished her mother had allowed her to stay in the training room, wished she had selected Mason for her testing instead. That way she would have not thought her as weak, or seen tears cover her cheeks.

"You're a disappointment." Her mother said, leaning in to whisper in her ear, a sob left Aubrette's throat.

"I'll do better next time" she said, but stopped as she saw the disgust inside of the purple shaded eyes of her mother. "I'm sorry mom" she whispered, hoping her apology would make it all go away.

"Don't call me that." She said, her words falling onto her like acid. "You are no longer my daughter. No daughter of mine would ever be weak enough to loose a fight."

"But mom I..." her hand grabbed onto her hair pulling her slightly upwards.

"You will not call me that. Not until you've learned how to properly win, without feeling guilty about it."

Her mother yanked the sword from her, slamming its edge to the palm of her hands. Cuts rippling open all the way up to her wrists. Small drops of blood falling to the floor.

Aubrette felt her heart stop. Even Nerezza who had stood from the floor seemed surprised at the words of her moth... of the queen. The young apprentice stared at her, and smiled before following the queen out of the room. Neither of them bothering to spare her a second glance.

The clicking of their heals echoed in Aubrette's ears for hours after they had both disappeared from her sight. She stayed there, sitting on her knees until she felt strong enough to stand up and not feel her legs shake.

Aubrette ran back to her room as fast as she could, afraid to even touch the ice of her veins that begged her to portal as far away as she possibly could, she ran trying to ignore the tears falling rapidly from her eyes. She threw herself to the floor of her balcony, begging the moon to heal her wounds. Slowly feeling moonlight travel into her skin like a caress, the sound of the wind singing her to sleep.

She stayed there, convincing herself this was for her own good. Her mother was right, no princess should be scared to finish a fight. Next time, next time she would do better. Next time she'd win.

Aubrette laid there, hoping, praying, that one day she would be strong enough to not be afraid of feeling pain. Because at that moment, when she wished nothing more deeply than to make her mother proud, her hands were bleeding and it hurt too much.