Chapter Sixty-Two

Broken Thread

The glass wall had as much stardusts inside of it as Exilium did. Even if she could not see it, Nerezza could feel her markings pulling towards it, ready to drain it out the second she allowed them to run loose. Deirdre waited beside her, both her hands too resting against the cold glass, her eyes closed, waiting and waiting until the moonlight got to them, just in the right position, just in the right angle, fulling them enough to drain it quicker and all at once.

To her surprise, Deirdre had been waiting for her in the morning, and even when her face seemed equally as drained, Nerezza had not been able to spot any of the nonsense she'd been talking about before on her eyes.

The queen's eyes on her, staring down to the new markings on her hands, to the new found darkness of her eyes, the stone in her neck, continued to send shiver down her spine. She'd said nothing, had not pronounced a word as she watched the stone glimmer, had not tried to step closer, not tried to claim the draining of the marked she'd turned in Luna Bay for herself. Nor had she cared about Asher, not when he was next to useless without any drop of stardust left inside of him. Aleena had simply looked at Deirdre, giving them both instructions for what they were to do today, what she expected out of them.

The rest of the marked had not been trained highly enough, they had barely any conscious left, as she preferred to have less refusal, less pushback against her commands, so Deirdre and her... they were to do the most to assure everything went to her liking, and the wall of Goldcrest did not have enough stardust in it left for it to remain standing after she sent the ground to break beneath their feet.

Nerezza felt her blood pumping rapidly, rushing to her head, waiting for the stardust to enter her body, her mind. She wondered if it would let her hear Mason inside her mind again, if it would make any difference, if she would be able to find where he was, what he was doing, how he'd broken free from their tie.

But that would be something for her to find out later.

Nerezza held her breath and look towards Deirdre who now had her eyes opened, staring at her hands, at the moonlight that started hitting them.

"Now Deirdre" Nerezza said. Tears fell down Deirdre's eyes as she screamed and let her shadows pour out of her and into the glass mountain. Her scream did not fade away even when moonlight reached Nerezza's own skin, and she poured her own into it too.

She could feel Deirdre's blending with her own, ripping apart through everything that held the walls together. Ripping apart every shred of protection that stood in their way of reaching their goal. Once their shadows reached the center and spread over everywhere, Nerezza felt the burning sensation that came with draining wrapping around her wrists like wire, cutting her from the inside out.

Unlike Deirdre for once, she did not let the pain win her over. She looked to the side, watch as her sister fell to her knees, doing her best to remain with her hands pressed up against the wall, but could see her eyes turning deep red, could see her face draining, her skin turning to glass.

The wind threatened to push them both aside, and Deirdre gasped in terror as one of her hands slipped away.

"Hold on" Nerezza said, letting one of her own shadows break apart from the wall and pull her together, holding her upright.

Deirdre pushed it away. "Leave me alone Nez" she said, tears staining her cheeks.

Nerezza rolled her eyes and focused on only the stardust coming into her, the ground below her feet slowly staring to shake, increasing rapidly enough for her to have to puncture the wall wit her nails, just so that she might have a chance of draining it whole.

"Now Nez!" Deirdre yelled letting go and falling apart. The mountain cracked as she let go, Nerezza watch perplexed as Deirdre rolled back. As she turned to her extending her hand. "We have to go now!" Nerezza turned to look at her, the wind blowing her hair into her face. "Let go!"

"No" Nerezza said. Watching her eyes turn everywhere searching for sight of the queen who was nowhere around yet. "Get your hands onto that wall or I won't have a choice Deirdre!"

Deirdre covered her mouth with her hand, the tips of her fingers a deep shade of blue. "I can't" she said shaking her head. "I can't do it"

Nerezza cried out as she felt the stardust burn through her skin. Deirdre stood, taking a step back.

"No. You won't leave me" Nerezza said, pushing every shadow inside the wall and letting her hands go. Deirdre's eyes changed, as she watched her run to her. She pulled a knife out of her coat and waited for Nerezza to reach her.

The wall cracked. She wished she had saved some of her blessing then, so that she might strike her sister with lightning, only so that she would be able to save up some time.

Deirdre moved far too fast, cut through the sleeves of her shirt, and pulled on her hair, both falling to the ground as it shook beneath her feet. Nerezza turned over, grabbing her throat and wrapping both her hands around it. Deirdre's face turned purple but she did not try to make her stop. Instead her hands touched her wrists , her forearms, and her nails torn through her skin.

Her eyes turned black and Nerezza fell back as she realized what she was going to try to do.

Deirdre kneeled, grabbing her knife back. "You know how this ends" she said to her. "Let me go"

"No" Nerezza said. "You are mistaken Deirdre. You might've been better than me once, but now you barley look like yourself. We don't have to do this"

Deirdre shook her head. "I'm afraid we do sister"

It was a second before she felt the knife dig into her skin again. Nerezza punched her face, not caring anymore. She did not care if Deirdre died, did not care about anything. Her departure would kill them both anyway. The queen would punish her for her mistakes and she could not have that. Could not allow that anymore. She would win. She would make the selfish choice.

Deirdre tried to push the stone into her neck, but Nerezza had learned the hard way how to keep the stone protected, so instead Deirdre found Nez's shadows wrapping around her arm and sending her flying, smashing her against the ground.

The wall cracked again, and Nerezza cursed as she watched Deirdre, way too far away fro her to reach before the wall fell, stand and start running.

Nerezza spotted the knife on the ground, the wall almost about to fall, her sister getting away, and did not hesitate as she aimed.

Deirdre yelled as her own knife punctured her back. She fell, looking back with a saddened expression, before getting back up a trail of blood pouring from her stomach as she disappeared at the cities edge.

Nerezza did not have time to do anything else but place her hands back agains the wall and finish with the draining. When she found Deirdre shadows searching for a way into her own skin, she let them in, and was not surprise to watch as the marks around her arms spread further into her skin.