Chapter Forty-Seven

♕ At the End ♕

There was no one inside the manor as she hurried down the stairs she'd seen Phoenix walk many times before. She did not let fear or nerves cloud her mind. Did not let the ache in her muscles convince her to turn around and lock herself in her bedroom.

She'd come here for a reason, and now, now might well be the one chance she had, to get one thing right.

Aubrette held her breath as she saw the door marked in red. She looked down at her clothes, still dirty from her training, but deciding against changing, Phoenix had to know that she was willing to do anything, offer her life even, to fight for Regno. Had to believe her when she told her the truth. And changing into beautiful clothes that covered the bruises in her skin would do nothing in favor of that.

She knocked, and before she could even open her mouth to call her name the door unlocked. Phoenix stood sitting behind her desk, her eyes focused on a stack of books, one halfway through before her, a quill on her left hand.

Her eyes barely left the papers to see her as she stepped inside, the door closing behind her.

"Aubrette" she said. "Dorian told me about what happened in Luna bay, I'm sorry to hear, I know it must be terrible painful" her voice sounded sincere as she spoke, and Aubrette tried to believe in them, what she said, what she meant. She could not judge her on what she'd done in the past, could not judge her when the rest seemed to have forgiven her as well.

"Thank you" she said, forcing the words out. "That's what I wanted to come talk to you about"

Phoenix looked away, her lips curling into a satisfied smile. "Me?"

"I'm not a fool you know" Aubrette said, her voice dropping. "And I believe you aren't either" Phoenix's smile grew. "There's little I can offer you. You are perhaps the only kingdom in Luxem with enough stardust to keep your people safe, your land protected."

Phoenix laughed. "So that's what this is about? You want to take stardust back with you?"

"No" Aubrette said, Phoenix's amusement making her blood heat. Taking a deep breath, she tried to concentrate on the darker parts of the room, on the parts where light hit. She closed her eyes for a second, wondering how much of herself she could give, how convincing exactly she could be. "I have plenty on my own" She said, and let her mind travel and wrap them inside. Small dots of light turning and shifting into stars, gleaming in all sorts of directions.

Phoenix stood, walking to the nearest one, nodding silently as Aubrette managed her best to keep them around, but letting them slip into dust soon after. There was too much darkness clouding her mind. Too much dirt in the middle.

"I've heard about this. Didn't think it would seem as real" she said "Impressive" Phoenix's smile was gone, leaving only a trace curiosity behind.

Aubrette cleared her throat before continuing. "My mother wants stardust. Not only wants it, she desperately needs it to keep her armies strong, alive, whatever the hell they are. That makes you a target." Phoenix leaned forward. Aubrette grinned. "Not only that, but Stella also is in need of Stardust, for whatever reason that may be, pride perhaps." She shrugged. "And she thinks your property is hers to command."

Phoenix laughed. "Believe me, I'm well aware of how Stella speaks about us all. Piece of property and nothing more. But I can handle her. Your mother on the other hand, well I'm hoping you'll deal with her before she reaches us"

Aubrette breathed in. "So you believe me? When I say she will come here after she is done in Regno?"

"Of course I do" Phoenix said. "I grew up around monsters girl, I know how their minds work. Your mother doesn't not want to rule, that not what fuels her, or any of those ruthless bastards I've met over the years. Their only goal is well, more. More power, more money, more kingdoms, more, more, more"