Chapter Eleven

Into Dust

Everything around her was gray.

She walked outside, feeling them again behind her shoulders, ghosts blurring the lines of dreams and reality.

She felt it. Slow and steady. Heat under her skin. Rage. Hurt.

She felt it. Growing ice inside one hand. Rushing heat, burning through her skin on the other.

She was not sure she was awake, if others could hear her, see her. Was not sure how long she screamed in pain before opening her eyes. Not sure if he had a voice that could make sounds of misery anymore.

There was not enough. Not enough in her to control it. Not enough strength. Not enough anything. She had made her body an empty vessel form which her blessing could feed off.

She stumbled in her feet. There were dark eyes puncturing through her mind. His eyes, not soft, not overwhelmingly kind or warm. In her dreams they had been cold, filled with venom.

A wave of fire heated through her body once more, her eyes flashing in the darkness of the hall. She reached for the stairs. Fell twice as she pulled herself into the main deck.

The sun was soft, and yet it burn through her.

She needed it out, she needed it to end.

He was gone. He was dead.

She had left him behind, had left all of them behind.

There was no point in holding onto him anymore.

No point in holding onto anything.

She needed it out. His blessing. Her curse. Out. Out.

It was poison, rotting inside her. It felt purer than any other venom, clouding her head with false illusions, with past memories of a life no longer appealing to her, a life she was no longer worthy of.

She saw them, their eyes in the sky as it consumed her from the inside. She felt it all.

Fear.

Misery.

Anger.

Rage.

All she felt was pain.

Something exploded.

She exploded.

And she saw as they all flew back, back until they crashed back into the wood, their eyes lost, Mason's shadows wrapping around them like a shield.

Something fell over her, rain kissing her eyelids, begging her to open them. When she did, she did it slowly, carefully. The rain was nothing more than fog, covering her all over. Blurring the now familiar sight of the sea. It pushed them apart from her.

Sybilla tried to reach her. Tried to scream. But her voice was muffled by the wind.

There were sparks all around her. Floating in the air. Sparks that grew into stars. Dots of light that moved with the rhythm of her heart, of her breath.

Aubrette could no longer see Sybilla, Mason, Zander.

All she saw was light.

The world was golden.

All there was, all that existed was light, stars, a speck of a sun floating beside her.

She felt the pain slip away from her.

There was no time, no crashing off waves, no whistling of wind.

Silence.

Peace.

She let go of her breath.

Let go of the pain that captured her inside.

For a second she felt herself inside her body again, a veil lifted from her eyes, emotions, hope, deep and forgotten inside her heart became clear as day. Clear as the sun itself.

Her eyes searched around, the fog slowly clearing. The stars floating around her shining brighter, burning stronger. Until her eyes met theirs again, the panic and pain inside them. The bruises already fading from their skin, bruises she's created, pain she'd caused.

Around her, all of her stars turned into dust.