Chapter Fifty-Eight

Hooded Ghosts

Neither of them had any idea where the hell they had landed. The edge of the empty beach seemed to be completely deserted. He could think of only one reason for that. The sea serpents were still too close to the shore for his liking, even when out here they seemed to be baby sea serpents. They still seemed like they could tear your arm away from your body if you were not careful enough.

The sky had cleared up, and as minutes went by it seemed that the sun was lightly making its way through the cracks between the thickness of the clouds above them. Asher could still feel the movements of the sea as his feet settled in between the sand. His hands lifting towards the ground as he fell forward, trying his best to regain a sense of stability, of stillness. 

Skylar shifted to their back, looking directly to the sky without caring for the shift of sunlight. Heavy breaths leaving their mouth as they tried to compose themselves it seemed. Asher mirrored their position, feeling the heaviness inside his chest start to lift.

It took them more than half and hour to push themselves away from the sand, half an hour to stand on their feet without wanting to puke, or cry. He wasn't sure which one was the most prominent one.

Skylar sighed and signaled at him to start moving. The sun was starting to dim, so the sea wouldn't be a good place to be near at soon, and they could not waste any more time.

"No no no" Jax stared saying as soon as Skylar and him started walking off shore. "Where the hell are you going?"

Asher tried to think of where exactly Jax had come from when he stood in front of them preventing them to keep walking.

"Uh" Skylar said. "To find human life?" They asked confused.

"But.." Jax said, looking back at his ship.

"Have you been inside the ship this whole time?" Asher asked him not remembering seeing him get off, or anywhere around for the past hour. Jax shrugged.

"Come on Jax" Skylar said a smile creeping into their face. "You're not seriously thinking on staying with the ship"

Jax face dropped. His mouth hanging open. Asher bit his lip to prevent laughing at him.

"It will rot if we leave it like this" he said, his eyes travelling back to it like he was about to run into it and never leave its borders again.

"And you will die if you dont come with us" Skylar said, trying to reason.

"But she is my..." Jax sighed. Neither of them spoke as a rush of wind pushed them closer together. Skylar grabbing onto Jax's shoulder to avoid falling in front of him. The sun as barely above the sea line, it would be dark soon. "Fine" he muttered under his breath. Stepping back and parting his eyes from the boat that had been their home for months now.

"It'll be here when we come back" Asher said, not sure if he believed it. Not sure if they were coming back at all, but wanting to give him a spark of hope anyway. Jax rolled his eyes.

"Yeah right" Jax said. "As if the snake monsters won't split it in two once we are out of sight" Asher smirked.

"I'll buy you another one" he said, and saw Jax loosen up for less than a second before groaning.

"With what money?" He said. Asher could not help but laugh then.

"Touche"

Skylar walked up and rushed to push in between the two grabbing both of their hands and pushing them forward. "You two walk so slow" they said, forcing their steps to quicken.