052

July 3rd, 1992
SEATTLE WASHINGTON

-

"Charlie. It's your birthday!" I said excitedly to the little baby in my arms. He'd grown so much so quickly. And it was already his 1st birthday. Dave was away in England again... their album Nevermind really hit off I mean millions of dollars and copies. It was crazy to think that Dave was... well known, now. I felt terrible that Dave wasn't there for Charlie's first birthday. But he misses everything so it didn't really matter. Courtney was pregnant which was so cool because both of your kids would be close in age. She was about 8 months already.

"Guess what? You're gonna have a birthday party... and Aunt Annie is coming and Kurt. Even you're BFF Courtney that you love more than me." I laughed to myself as I held him on my hip cleaning the table with a paper of towel. I hadn't been in the best place with Dave recently.... he's mad because he isn't getting anything done with that band and he yells at me when I bring up Charlie.

I just wanted him here for his first birthday and Dave just went off on how he's doing all he can and that Charlie will be fine so I just ignored that shitty situation. I didn't know what was happening between us... and I didn't know how to fix it either.

"Hello?" I picked up the ringing phone.

"Hey it's uh, Bucky. Can you open the front door?" I hung up the phone immediately and raced to the door with Charlie to see Dave standing there with flowers and a wrapped present for Charlie. I set Charlie in his little chair.

"Dave!" I cried with happiness throwing my arms around his neck. Dave held me back tightly handing me the flowers.

"I'm sorry for being a jerk these past couple days." He explained the reason for the flowers. I didn't say anything else but leaned in and kissed his lips. This whole thing just reminded me of the past. Like deja vu... he did the exact same thing about 2 years ago. And how could I forgot the infamous Bucky gimmick.

"Charlie!" Dave said with excitement picking him up from his chair and holding him tightly in his arms. I smiled at the two taking a seat on the couch.

"Guess what? He laughed the other day..." I said to Dave who turned around his the biggest smile.

"He did? Why didn't you tell me... I miss everything." Dave pouted placing Charlie in his lap.

"Why don't you try and make him laugh. I'm sure he would." I said leaning my head on his shoulder. Dave sighed holding Charlie up and laying him on his knees, "he likes the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air. Whenever it's on he's always watching it." I gave him a hint.

"I'm not singing the theme song." Dave gave me a bland look.

"Okay," I shrugged, "looks like Charlie isn't laughing."

Dave rolled his eyes before clearing his throat, "I can't believe I'm doing this." He whispered to himself. I couldn't wait to see this.

"Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down. And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there. I'll tell you how I became a prince of a town called Bel— he's laughing! Oh, Charlie you're laughing." Dave looked at him. They were giving each other puppy eyes.... I wanted to just sob seeing Dave look so happy and proud of himself as Charlie sweetly laughed.

"What did I tell you?" I asked him.

"Yeah, yeah. I can't believe he's laughing." Dave started in awe and the little boy in his arms. I felt so lucky to have them in that moment... even though Dave didn't get to spend much time around Charlie it didn't matter. Because when he did he always made up for it.

"Can I ask you something?" Dave said in that tone I knew too well. He had a real big question to ask me I could tell.

"Yes."

"Video Music Awards are in September... do you want to come with? I don't know maybe even get your picture taken with the famous one of the bunch. We could bring Charlie... and Kurts baby. It would be really fun." Dave asked.

"Do I have to wear a dress?" I asked jokingly.

"No ma'am." He said back in a soft voice before kissing my cheek. I was going to the VMA's for crying out loud. What the actual... heck? I was so excited to bring Charlie but I was also very nervous. He'd never been somewhere that crowded and quick before... and I didn't know what reaction he'd give.

I guess we'd just have to see...