𝐢. lyra vance

(Vance Manor)

(Vance Manor)

It was quiet at the Vance Manor. For the only sounds that could be heard were the birds chirping, and the soft wind that blew the leaves on the trees.

If you were to search the Manor, you would find Aleksander in his office, as per usual. Emilia drinking tea while walking around the grounds, Capella in the Library searching for a book, one that she has yet to read. The youngest Vance, Lyla, you would find her in the art room.

It was one of the only rooms in the Manor where she truly felt at ease. Felt as if she could let all her worries go. She wouldn't have to worry if she said the wrong thing, looked at someone the wrong way, or even, breathed incorrectly, as she put it. She could let herself be at peace, and the enjoy the tranquility of the feeling of the paint brush moving on the canvas. As if it simply had a mind of its own.

Of course, this tranquility wouldn't last forever. Especially not when you're Lyla Vance, and there was always something out there for your family to critique you on.

"LYRA!"

She heard the stern voice of her father shout. She rolled her eyes and set down her paint brush. Lyra, she thought bitterly. Her true name, the one that she was given at birth, the one, that she grew to hate.

It wasn't as if she thought the name was ugly, in fact she thought it was quite beautiful. She just felt as if the name belonged to another person. A Pureblood girl, one who was sorted into Slytherin, one who didn't befriend Halfbreeds, Mudbloods, and Blood Traitors. A girl who accepted her fate in society, and knew that she would only ever be seen as an object. Only ever be thought of as a woman. A wife, a mother, and nothing more.

Lyla liked to believe that she wasn't this girl, and that she would never become this girl. So she took on a knew name. One that wasn't like the typical Pureblood names, coming from the name of a star or a constellation. One that most people would say sounded common, but to her she didn't care. For she made a promise to herself when she took on this new name. She vowed that one day people would always remember the name Lyla Vance. Not for being someone's wife or mother, but for being what she was. A damsel, one who although might be in distress, wouldn't need a man to come and get her out of it.

Hello, that's the first chapter my lovelies. The next chapter will begin the start of Fifth Year, so you'll see the interactions with the Marauders and the girls. Anyways hoped you liked it. - acciom00ny